_GOTOBOTTOM
Scratchbuilders!: Armor/AFV
This is a group for armor scratchbuilding questions, topics and projects.
Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Cutting exact copies...
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 03:03 PM UTC
How do you make two flat objects exactly the same? Like how do you cut two strips exactly the same length? Or if you have to have two panels on each side of a hull and they need to be exactly the same to match up, how do you cut them the same?

Rob
MonroePerdu
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 115 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 03:58 PM UTC
Hi Rob,

For cutting panels the same size/shape, you can try stacking them by using double sided tape. This works out pretty well with sheet styrene. You can cut two panels slightly larger than needed if they have curved edges or other angles and with the shape drawn on the top panel, stick the two together and sand the edges of both at the same time to get the final size. If you need duplicate lengths of strip styrene, you need to make some kind of "jig" to hold the strip at the same spot each time you score it. Again, you can use double sided tape to stick a couple of blocks to the desktop and make a cut mark at the spot you need to cut all your strips to. I don't think the explanation makes much snese but I hope this gets you in the right direction. Maybe someone else can be a little more clear.
Mike
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 05:22 PM UTC
with a lot of my stuff especially large panels a very tiny dot of super glue is added here and there between the panels. when finished the parts are easy to either seperate with a sharp blade or simply twist the parts to break the glue.

another method is white glue or artist spray glue availiable from art supply stores. Just make sure it is not going to melt the plastic.
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 11:05 PM UTC
Great posts - I think the key is sizing. Size them a smidge bigger so you can sand them down to the same sizes.
I use paper templates quite often. Draw an outline on the raw material then cut on the line. Remove the template first so you don't cut the template.
Another thing is, when making multiple of one piece. Make the first and always use the first one for all the others as a guide. Don't use the 2nd one as a guide for the 3rd, 3rd for the 4th and so on. Because any slight variation in cutting will build up over the progressive transfers.
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2003 - 02:29 AM UTC
Rob - probably not the easiest or quickest - but like Scott I use paper templates too. Most of the time I can construct the entire subassembly in paper - before cutting plastic. The only other thing that I do is make single use of a 1:35th scale ruler and actual dimensions of parts. I don't deal with conversions in millimeters. This saves a large amount of trimming to get things to fit.

Gunnie
KFMagee
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 1,586 Posts
KitMaker Network: 302 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 10, 2003 - 05:30 PM UTC
I draw the shape of the desired image on my computer (flipping the image in duplicate if I need a true "left and right" that have different angles...

Then I print the drawing on clear transparency sheets and tape these to white styrene sheet. Cut them with a new Xacto Blade and you have a PERFECT shape every time! Works great, and doesn't cost much or take much time...

I use Micrografx Designer, which is easier to use than Corel Draw, but offers absolute control of sizes, angles, and shapes...
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 03:13 AM UTC
The same as KF Magee here, I print them on self adhesive labels...
Ciao
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 03:21 AM UTC
Pick up a Dupli-cutter at Micro Mark. This little tool will make it easy to make mutiple pieces the exact same size. I would not be with out one. http://www.micromark.com Type in duplicutter in the item search block on the top of the home page.
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 03:15 PM UTC
These are all really good answers to a subject I have had difficulty with for a while. I have been doing the cut one and then use it as a guage for the rest method but am not having a lot of luck. I think the double sided tape/glue method looks very promising for flat stuff. I would love one of those duplicutters, maybe in a year or two. The idea for a printed template is going to be usefull, as I might have to do the hull sides on this abrams after all, and I have the tools necessary to do it. Thank you all for your ideas, I appreciate them.

Rob
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 05:34 PM UTC
hey you welcome brother Rob. Keep us up with the play on the Abrams please.

even if it is only a tank thingy-me-bob #:-)
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2003 - 02:30 PM UTC
Okay, here's the first attempt at the hull sides using the aforementioned superglue techique, which worked excellently I might add:

Thanks guys
 _GOTOTOP