_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Latex Gloves
jjasmine
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 - 07:42 AM UTC
I started wearing latex gloves anytime I handle a kit in any way years ago and I never work without them now. I've found that this is a bulletproof way of keeping fingerprints off a completed model. I was wondering if anyone else does this or if I'm exposing a little OCD by admitting it here.

I use latex gloves that I purchase in boxes of 100 from my local auto parts store. I realize that some folks have a latex allergy but there are boxes of nitrile gloves on the shelf right by the latex ones. It did take a little while to get used to wearing them, especially when working with small bits but now I find no problems while wearing them.
MikeM670
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 278 Posts
KitMaker Network: 16 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 - 08:35 AM UTC
Some people use cotton white gloves when handling their models. I really only use latex gloves when painting or after cleaning the model prior to painting.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 - 11:08 AM UTC
I use latex when painting. and wash my hands alot when working with model. I have been trying to locate a source for the Tamiya ProCraft gloves in Canada, but have not had a lot of luck and Tamiya USA only ships with in the continental US.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 19, 2011 - 02:23 PM UTC
I use nitrile gloves, when painting. I don't have any allergies to latex, but I like that the nitrile are form fitting. I haven't had any problems with fingerprints other than during the painting phase. If you want to avoid fingerprints, you can give the kit a wash with ipa, right before you paint. Handling the kit afterwards, I would suggest white cotton gloves, like the type you find at a music store.
 _GOTOTOP