_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
How do you get your Mojo working again?
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 278 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 12:27 AM UTC
Hi everyone,

I am in a real low at the moment. I sit down at my bench for hours on end just starring at my Sherman and M2 half-track but can't find the mojo to do anything.

How do you blokes get over a bad case of modellers block? I've got the plan for my diorama mapped out plus spent a small fortune buying stuff I think I will need. I even cleaned up the bench in an effort to motivate myself because I couldn't find anything on it before, but I still can't get the 'inspirational juices' flowing.

Please, any advice will be greatly appreciated. I do want to finish this so I can move onto my Bushmaster and Centurion.

Cheers, John

Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 12:54 AM UTC
Do something different for a bit, go make a start on the Cent for example.

The old "Mojo" will come back when it's ready ...... baby
Dougiedog
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 72 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 01:19 AM UTC
Yeah
Something different...very different, even not modelling!

We all get like this sometimes.

cheers

Adam
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 01:58 AM UTC
Yup, somethng different than the usual. I have a few sci-fi what ifs kindasortofs that I turn to when I hit a wall. Being that they don't really exist, it lets my mind wonder to the dark uncharted place's in my mind. And that's o.k. because I'm well kown in there.
MLD
Visit this Community
Vermont, United States
entire network: 3,569 Posts
KitMaker Network: 684 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 05:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Yup, somethng different than the usual. I have a few sci-fi what ifs kindasortofs that I turn to when I hit a wall. Being that they don't really exist, it lets my mind wonder to the dark uncharted place's in my mind. And that's o.k. because I'm well kown in there.

what he said..

For some many multiples of projects in-progress is a turnoff, things not geting done and all. but for me I get bogged down doing 498 indie links, I put decals on a plane.

Hassle masking a canopy or painting roadwheels, it's time for airbrush basecoating.

Too many fiddly PE bits, weather an almost done peoject.

Keeps me working, mostly

Mike
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 05:57 AM UTC
Something different, watch movies, look at blogs or other build stories and find something that inspires you. I did a dual build with my son, a build review, and went and finished a couple of old projects when I got stalled the last time.
jjasmine
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 07:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

what he said..

For some many multiples of projects in-progress is a turnoff, things not geting done and all. but for me I get bogged down doing 498 indie links, I put decals on a plane.

Hassle masking a canopy or painting roadwheels, it's time for airbrush basecoating.

Too many fiddly PE bits, weather an almost done peoject.

Keeps me working, mostly

Mike

This is my strategy as well. I always seem to have several projects going at once so it's pretty easy to keep things varied.
JClapp
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 2,265 Posts
KitMaker Network: 225 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 08:14 AM UTC
hm. right through here, I'm taking a break from N scale trains. That means there's a vacancy over there. do you like trains at all?
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 08:46 AM UTC
Ditto

Do something different.. if your doing a tank.. go do a plane.. If you doing something with lots of bits and resin, go do something quick and simple such as a jeep or other small Tamiya Kit.

I completed a jeep a while back.. was very pleased how it came out.. continued on to a Red Army sherman, and wasn't to happy how it went, got a little modelers block. So I took a week away from building.. now I'm ready to go back to it with a Tamiya Universal Carrier..

Keep some cheap kits around that you wouldn't mind throwing together in a quick build also... sometimes doing something that you don't worry about how it comes out puts the fun back in it..

Delbert
jjasmine
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 08:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

hm. right through here, I'm taking a break from N scale trains. That means there's a vacancy over there. do you like trains at all?

I never messed around with trains at all. I do appreciate the modelling aspect of the hobby though. Being a father of two girls, I have built several doll houses and rather enjoyed that.
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 09:14 AM UTC
I get my mojo back by reading a book, usually on a tank or plane topic, pick up a modelling magazine, there is always something inspiring in one of those, browse the galleries here for some inspiration, or watch a movie, A Bridge to Far is my favorite.

Hope you find it soon, maybe give Austin Powers a call.....LOL
captfue
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 785 Posts
KitMaker Network: 210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 09:43 AM UTC
What really helps me get back into doing model work, and this has worked every single time. I ask my wife is there anything around the house she would like done? by the second or third item on the list I'm ready to get back to work on any figure.
mmeier
Visit this Community
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
entire network: 1,280 Posts
KitMaker Network: 213 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 01:57 PM UTC
I get together some people and play a round of Twilight:2000 / Merc:2000. If that fails I fire up the computer and play Op:Flashpoint. Shooting some virtual Iwans gives new boosts.
rossgary
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 02:00 PM UTC

Quoted Text

What really helps me get back into doing model work, and this has worked every single time. I ask my wife is there anything around the house she would like done? by the second or third item on the list I'm ready to get back to work on any figure.

I know that feeling.....
 _GOTOTOP