Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
anyone here feel autistic?
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 - 03:19 AM UTC
I've got one boy diagnosed with Asbergers, another who is probably borderline and it is a genetic disorder. My wife says, considering my interest in detail and order and the ability to sit quietly and model, it probably comes from me. Reading through books on the subject, a significant number of people diagnosed or suspected of having symptoms work in areas that involve a lot of order, consistency, technology and logic, and are interested in history (which represents order) and science fiction (logic and technology based). Many are also hyperactive, or restless when not occupied, but focus intently on items that interest them. The majority of people with this disorder are unaware because they are "high functioning". Others think they are a little (or really) odd or eccentric, but in the company of their peers, who share the same interests and eccentricites, it's normal.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 - 09:28 AM UTC
I feel medicated. If wasn't for seeing a psychiatrist and a psychologist on a regular basis, I would wonder. But, I'll settle for schizoprenia bipolar type 1 afflective with a touch of dementia for spice.
lespauljames
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 3,661 Posts
KitMaker Network: 399 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 01:59 AM UTC

Quoted Text

... with a touch of dementia for spice.

I'll Stick to pepper?!
TAFFY3
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,531 Posts
KitMaker Network: 290 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 02:13 AM UTC
You don't have to be crazy to research, build, paint, decal, super-detail, or scratch-build models, but it helps. Al
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 03:55 AM UTC

I've often thought that there is a touch of aspergers in all modelers. I suspected that I had it myself because of my obsessiveness and attention to detail but then again I'm also very messy. I work with children making art and have often been advised when new children come to a class that they are autistic or have ADHD. During class thoughthey would behave the same as all the other children. I'm not sure labelling children is helpful in all cases
plstktnkr2
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 46 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 07:05 AM UTC
I have 2 children in my sister's family (sister, we share a common mother) and I too have felt that "something wasn't quite right" my daughter exibits a strain of this too. So it is quite possilble there is an Autism strain at work.
jjasmine
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Saturday, December 24, 2011 - 06:04 PM UTC
My ex-wife was always baffled about how I could be so hyperactive in some aspects of my life and still be able to sit at my workbench for hours at a time completely focused on the most minute of tasks. I always knew I was different than other people but it never made me uncomfortable or self conscious. It still doesn't, I'm content with my life regardless if I'm going a hundred miles an hour pursuing my more active interests or spending hours in total concentration at my hobby workbench.