_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Respirators?
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 06:43 PM UTC
Got another supplies question for everyone. Having just come home a week ago, I've been hitting the workbench pretty heavily (as some of you may know from my acrylics diatribes...) but lately I've been having pretty constant headaches. And I NEVER get headaches. My guess is from being around glue and paint fumes, and the plastic particles in the air after sanding can't help my health either. I figure it's about damn time I invest in a respirator, but I don't know what to get. The 3M 6300 looks to be a fairly cheap and ubiquitous mask, but is it effective against enamels and CA glues? What kinds of respirators do you all use?
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 09:33 PM UTC
personally I use common disposable dust masks

Probably they aren't too effective against glue or paint fumes but on my opinion there isn't a respirator which can solve the problem. Solution is working in a well ventilated room

Cheers
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 09:55 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Probably they aren't too effective against glue or paint fumes but on my opinion there isn't a respirator which can solve the problem. Solution is working in a well ventilated room

Cheers

ditto
exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Thursday, December 15, 2011 - 10:33 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Cheers

disposable dust masks are not effective at all against paint fumes so no paint in wearing one

on the other hand the 3M respirator is effective against fumes I wear one even when painting outside
HunterCottage
Visit this Community
Stockholm, Sweden
entire network: 1,717 Posts
KitMaker Network: 590 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 - 02:20 AM UTC
I use a booth myself. It keeps all fumes away from me and I am very migraine-prone. Only when I am in an area that doesn't have any/or not very good ventilation do I use a half-mask with A1 filters...
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 - 02:59 AM UTC
I use a mask with a vapour and dust filter when painting and I do cough less when using a mask.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Friday, December 16, 2011 - 08:25 AM UTC
Yes I know you're right , it should be a far better using a professional mask, but anyway, I usually deal with small amounts of glue and I use only acrylic paints in a well ventilated room. I should use a professional mask when I'm using spray primers or i'm sanding down resin parts (as you know resin dust is toxic)....

Otherwise I smoke more than 20 cigarettes a day, so I don't think my healt problems will be caused by kit modelling products ...I'd rather stop smoking than wearing a professional mask
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 08:58 AM UTC
When i'm painting I use a professional painters respirator, even when spraying dull coat and enamels I don't even smell the fumes until I take it off.

Ive used a respirator at work that is dust and particulate rated (used one for 8 years) and those do not keep the fumes out, just dust.

Delbert
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, December 18, 2011 - 09:29 AM UTC
Delbert, what's the model that keeps the fumes out? That's really my biggest concern over the dust.
lighthorseman
Visit this Community
South Australia, Australia
entire network: 84 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Sunday, January 01, 2012 - 04:09 PM UTC
Robby google is your friend just do a search on spray painting respirators and you will be laughing
BomberGunner
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 90 Posts
KitMaker Network: 22 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 04:35 AM UTC
Hi Robby,
When I first got my airbrush I was practising on an eisel with artist's ink and when I has finished I blew my nose and the tissue was covered in ink. Even though I smoked at the time, I knew that hunched over a model, spraying fine camo patterns breathing paint in, was going to be worse than the smokes.
So I spoke to my brother, who owns a painting business, and he told me to buy a Sundstrom SR90 half face respirator. The brand is Swedish (and we know how particular Scandinavians are with their health regs) and not cheap (I think the kit with mask and filters was about AU$100), but what is your health and hobby worth. But the bottom line is it works. I can have Mr Surfacer, Lacquer Thinners etc open, but while I've got the mask on I wouldn't know, I can't smell a thing. Along with the airbrush, it is probably the best (most used, does its job well) piece of modelling gear I've bought.

P.S. 6 years now non-smoking, that's 44,000 Stuyvesants I haven't inhaled.

Regards,
Lucien
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, January 10, 2012 - 05:08 AM UTC
Hey Lucien! Um, is this the mask you're talking about? I hate to upset you, but it's going on Amazon for less than US$30. If this is it, though, I'll gladly pick one up! What about the cartridges though...are they removable/replaceable or do you buy a new mask each time? And is the size pretty true or do they run big or small?

Thanks for the reply and congratulations on quitting!
 _GOTOTOP