_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Acrylics vs. Enamels
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 03:42 PM UTC
I've been building models for about 10 years now using enamel paints exclusively, never had a single problem with my trusty Testor 1/4oz glass jars. All of a sudden, I decided to try out acrylics (the enamel fumes can be a bit overwhelming sometimes...) and I have been SO miserable with them! The paints won't stick to the plastic, I can never get them thinned correctly, I spent a bunch of money on a new AB for them and it's just sputtering out junk. I'm about ready to throw in the towel on the acrylics. This is just BS. (I know and acknowledge that I am most likely the cause of the problem, but seriously, how can acrylics be so much more work compared to enamels??)
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 06:28 PM UTC
I guess it comes down to what your used to, I find similar frustrations with enamels ! lol

I like acrylics for their speed, ease of clean up and their even results.

Trouble sticking? Clean em up and Use primer , top coat when your done.

I use Tamiya mainly and 50/50 out of the airbrush goes on great and with the brush I guess about the same ratio.

I also love that if you make a total cock up you can just whip out the ammonia and your back to where you stated.

I don't get good results with enamels as I am too clumsy and impatient and the clean up is a pain.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 09:23 PM UTC
Why change? Enamels appear to back in favour again, especially with all the AK Interactive weathering options, and the advantages of using enamels and oils together for weathering. In all honesty, acrylics felt like some tyoe of trend where everybody and their dog started using them, just because everybody was using them.
I also tried paint brushing acrlyics, and like yourself I failed. So I decided to not bother trying. Im happy enough with my figure painting, and I didn´t want to risk loosing quality again.
I have always airbrushed using Tamiya acrylics though, as I find them very easy to spray and clean up. As Scott says above, 50/50 mix with their own thinner or isoproponyl alcohol as I use works well. I dont bother priming when airbrushing Tamiya, but when spraying Vallejo colours, this is a must. So I prime with Tamiya and spray over with Vallejo .... I only use them when a specific colour is needed.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 12, 2011 - 11:13 PM UTC
I use both and have had little problem with either of them. Mainly, I use Tamiya acrylic(yes I know it isn't really a acryllic), because I could get them for $1.5 from my lhs. The only problem I have is that they are increasingly more difficult to find. There's really no mess about them. Just run a little acetone through your ab, after using them. Make sure you do this in a well ventilated room with no open flames. The thing I don't like about enamels is that they are quite a bit more difficult to get out of a paintbrush and the cleanup of the paint cups&bottles. Of course, I always primer my models. It's all of .97$ for primer from Walmart.
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 05:52 AM UTC
Scott and Matt, I TOTALLY agree with you on the clean-up...that's another reason why I tried them out in the first place, I was tired of having to submerge my AB in thinner after each session to clean it out. And for as much trouble as I've been having with them, I'll admit it has been very nice to just shoot some isoprop onto the model and clean it and the AB at once.

Frank, thank you for saying this! There is only one LHS near me, and it's a national chain, so I've always been limited to a small selection of Testors classic enamels. The acrylics I've gotten were all online and all pretty expensive...definitely not worth the frustration. I just need to find an easier way to clean enamels from AB's and paint jars, if that's possible...
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 11:05 AM UTC
I was a traditional Humbrol enamel boy.

One day I wanted to know what those acrylics were all about and tried out Tamiya acryl. the first attempt wasa total disaster (i used the wrong thinner) bt since I learned.

Acryl works, its healther, and the airbrush cleans easier but I still prefer enamel. It just feels safer
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 1,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 02:44 PM UTC
Robby,I too am an enamel guy.The little square bottles are near and dear to me.I am now in the "getting to know acrylic" stage.It is a steep learning curve.I've plugged my ab a couple of times .I would suggest that to start out you stay with system spec. probucts.I.E.If you are using tamiya paint ,use their thinner and air brush cleaner.Vallejo,their thinner and air brush cleaner,ect.I still am screwing up alot ,but there are momentary flashes of beauty that keep me going,and I'm getting better with them By the way,modelmaster (testors)makes acrylic paint if you just can't breakaway Jeff
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 04:31 PM UTC
I've only been airbrushing for about 4 years, and have only ever used Tamiya and Gunze acrylics. I always thin them with their own respective brand thinners, and about 50/50 works for me. I use a single-action AB at anywhere from 10-20 psi. I have never primed before painting, but I always (well almost always) thoroughly wipe the model down with methylated spirits to get rid of my greasy fingerprints.
I am going to be trying out airbrushing enamels for the first time early in the new year, so be ready to block your ears if you are sensitive to %$^^@&*(^%$#

Cheers, D

Edit: I'm planning to use the little Humbrol enamel tins, again with their own brand thinner. Any quick tips on thinning ratio and AB pressure for me guys???
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, December 13, 2011 - 04:48 PM UTC
Damian, I've never had any problems with spraying enamels (as long as I remembered to thoroughly clean the AB out before and after each spray session). I assume you're using a gravity-feed, based on the 10-20 PSI? The standard that I was taught is to make the paint about the consistency of whole milk. Some paints are thicker than others to begin, but as long as you can get it so that it'll pour quickly and cleanly into the cup, you're good. Best of luck to you though...I know how frustrating new supplies can be!
jjasmine
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 112 Posts
KitMaker Network: 31 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 09:48 AM UTC
I've always been a proponent of "If it 'aint broke, don't fix it". I started modelling when enamels were the only paint you could get so that's what I learned to use. I resisted the move to acrylics when they first became all the rage because I was quite satisfied with the results I got with enamels. As far as clean up, I agree it is much more extensive with enamels, but it's all I've ever known so it's just an accepted part of the process.

As mentioned above, I too love the re-emergence of enamels and have found the products from AK to be excellent.
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 11:58 AM UTC
Update: I tried the Vallejo acrylics again. This time I made sure to prime the model, wipe down my fingerprints, thin and mix evenly with distilled, and sure enough, the ing paint fisheyed like mad, ran clear off the surface (which was NOT soaked in paint, mind you...thin layers!), and never cured. Needless to say, I will NEVER be buying Vallejo products again, and will most likely steer clear of acrylics altogether. I am so frustrated right now...
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 14, 2011 - 04:53 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Update: I tried the Vallejo acrylics again. This time I made sure to prime the model, wipe down my fingerprints, thin and mix evenly with distilled, and sure enough, the ing paint fisheyed like mad, ran clear off the surface (which was NOT soaked in paint, mind you...thin layers!), and never cured. Needless to say, I will NEVER be buying Vallejo products again, and will most likely steer clear of acrylics altogether. I am so frustrated right now...

Had to be some grease of some sort on the model that you missed. Did you wash the parts before you primed it? Release agent can leach through the primer, causing the fisheyes when you paint. As well...switch to Vallejo's own thinner and it cures alot of the problems. Been using Vallejo for about 10yrs and have never had a problem with them.
 _GOTOTOP