_GOTOBOTTOM
Introductions
If you are new to the network please post a little something here to introduce yourself.
Hello from Annapolis
Little_Yoshi
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 8 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 11:32 AM UTC
Hi from Maryland! Looking to get back into modeling after 20-25yrs. This time, it'll be more than glue and stickers.

Looking to build WWII tanks & planes since I am a buff in that area. In addition, I am confident with my hands to start at an intermediate level. I hear Dragon & Tamiya are top dogs right now... True?

Any suggestions on where I should start. I would also like to do variants of different models. Can you do this across makers or should I stay within one maker? (Ex. The many different variations of the De Havilland Misq)

Thanks in advance!

Ken
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 30, 2011 - 03:24 PM UTC
Welcome aboard, Ken. Glad to have you back. For tanks, there are many options from Dragon, Trumpeter, Bronco, AFV Club, Mini-Art and Tasca, just to name a few. The Tamiya kits are nice, and easily upgraded with lots of accessories, but have been transcended in quality and accuracy by the others. Lots of new subjects are coming out as well, adding to the variety.

As for aircraft, Tamiya, Hasegawa, Eduard, and Trumpeter, again just naming a few. It all depends upon what you like, the scale you like it in, and who makes it.

I would suggest that you look in the reviews section, or use the search bar at the top and type in the subject you like, or ask in the forums for opinions on kits you are interested in. You will get plenty of help. Some items are only available from one maker, some from multiple, so getting some input in the forum is helpful. Armorama and Aeroscale are good places to be.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, December 05, 2011 - 01:04 AM UTC
Glad to have you Ken. I find Tamiya, Hasegawa and Accurrate Miniatures are the best aircraft manufacturers. For armor; Dragon, Trumpeter and Tamiya are the leaders. AFV Club produces some good kits, but I have run into a lot of parts that require some work to make accurrate. Hobby Boss is another good line.
 _GOTOTOP