History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Unsung Heros
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 12:30 AM UTC
Who are the unsung heros, commanders that don't get the credit they deserve? I would say all the British generals, except Monty of course, don't get nearly enough of the press. On the American side General Hodges of the First Army. Everybody knows about Eisenhower, Bradley, and Patton, but who has heard of Hodges?

chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 12:37 AM UTC
I would agree with the Brits. Also the Aussies, and the Chinese!

~Chip :-)
bison44
Visit this Community
Manitoba, Canada
entire network: 471 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 05:43 AM UTC
How about the russians commanders involved in the liberation of manchuria etc. I realize that the Japanese were almost finished but the logistical nightmare that the operation posed is staggering. The speed of advance through tough terrain was incredible and this action is largely ignored and unknown. (As opposed to russain actions against the gremans in europe.) I recently saw a short history channel program on it and was totally blown away.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 06:00 AM UTC
How about the guys in the Coast Guard that piloted the landing craft during D Day? Most people don't even know the Coasties did that.

Shaun
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 06:04 AM UTC
What about the crews of the aircraft that dropped supplies to the resistance. Carpetbaggers I think.

~Chip :-)
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 07:44 AM UTC
thats a new one to me,
i was under the impression that british crews piloted almost all naval vessels during d-day
cheers
joe
brandydoguk
Visit this Community
England - North, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,495 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 01:19 AM UTC
I would add all the British servicemen who served in th Far East in WW2, from the generals down to the lowest ranks. They not only fought a tough highly motivated enemy but did so in totally alien jungle terrain. I think they seem to get left out when aniversary celebrations come round compared to those that fought nearer home.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 01:45 AM UTC
GreatBrit

Below is a pretty cool site describing what the Coasties did at Normandy...

Shaun

http://www.uscg.mil/hq/g-cp/history/h_normandy.html

greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 05:03 AM UTC
good one brandydog,
my grandfather served in the far east during ww2 and afterwards, in various units of the 14th army. not only did he serve during the war from 1943 to 1945, he also had to stay behind to try and keep order in india during the rioting.
when he finally came home in 1947, he spent 16 months in hospital recovering from gastric infections, and a problem with his ear which left him deaf in his left year to this day.

they were largely forgotten by many, were poorly equiped and fed. but still managed to defeat the japanese.
hears to them
andy007
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 2,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 471 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 09:43 AM UTC
I must agree, Brandydoguk and greatbrit i am very good friends with an indian soldier who served in Burma in the 14th army, i hear stories about how they had to make rafts using pots and their boot laces and the poor souls that couldn't swim drowned.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 03:10 PM UTC
I was really trying for commanders but these are all good choices. Personally I think one of the biggest unsung heros were the truck drivers. I'm obviously biased, my Dad was one. These guys carried the stuff that one the war, on every front.
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 04:28 PM UTC
I'm not sure if this question is supposed to be limited to WWII or not, but I have an interesting addition for those interested in a little Canadian (and American in a sense) history.

The British generals that defended Canada in the War of 1812 have all largely been forgotten with the exception of Isaac Brock, who has become something of a legend. Unfortunately, Brock died fairly early on in the war, in the famous Battle of Queenston Heights. Roger Sheaffe took over for Brock and won that battle. Francis de Rottenburg followed Sheaffe and was in turn replaced by Gordon Drummond who managed to stymie the best American efforts to take Upper Canada in the war. There is an interesting book on the subject by Wesley Turner called British Generals in the War of 1812: High Command in the Canadas that compares all these commanders' efforts.

As for WWII, I would have to agree about the British Generals other than Monty (who gets enough popularity, good or bad, as it is). Both Wavell and Auchinleck kept Britain in the war and Russia's southern flank secure between 1940 and 1942 in North Africa. Wavell was sent to India after Rommel's first victories, but even here he found success. Rommel called Wavell the only British commander he faced that had a hint of genius. Obviously, these two choices both represent c-in-c's. Many other lower ranking general officers, like Richard O'Connor, made large contributions while staying in the shadows.

Nic
warlock0322
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 152 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 11:37 PM UTC
How about the Navajo Codetalkers. These warriors were living on reservations in the Forties almost forgotten by their country at the time. When asked to serve they volenteered went to war with the understanding that no matter what they were never to be taken prisoner at any cost.
It was and to this day the only code that was never broken. Then after the war they just went back to their reservations and tribes. without fanfare

Paul
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 07:04 AM UTC
Bit off line but I would like to mention my mum and her sister my aunt Maud,Mum was a land girl she got straffed by a F...ng Nazi B.........d her words, aunt Maud did twelve hour shifts machining Engine parts rigth through the blitz ,only to go home in the morning to find the house a pile of rubble no one injured luckily ,only my uncle Henrys pride he was a scotch guard and had his kilt blown off by a ariel mine.
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 06:00 PM UTC
Easy Co, my Mum had her bombed out while her and her family were down in the cellar. She still did her bit in the Brit version of the Women's Army Corps.
zer0_co0l
Visit this Community
Limburg, Netherlands
entire network: 1,432 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 11, 2003 - 06:55 PM UTC
I would say the people of the dutch town called putten.

they helped after market garden to hide loads of airborntroops

behind enemy lines.

together with some paras the recistance their killed a high ranking officer

the 400 + men were taken from that town.
houses was burned

only 44 men returned.
I personally think that deserves credit,
and for generals I go with the british generals exept the arrogant monty!
*no offence*
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 12, 2003 - 04:24 PM UTC
How about all the folks on the homefront that kept the faith and made equipment