_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Attn: All Italians (Scoccia)
PvtParts
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,876 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2003 - 11:40 AM UTC
Im on to my figures for the "Under the Sun" g.b. and would like to know in your expert opinion what the best color to use for the uniforms would be? Thanks in advance! #:-)
Folgore
Visit this Community
Canada
entire network: 1,109 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2003 - 01:37 PM UTC
What kind of unit are you representing? I finished some Italian Folgore paratroopers a while ago and should have pics of them up shortly. I can also e-mail you some paintings I took off the net last year of just about every uniform you would see in North Africa (fanteria, bersaglieri, guastatore, etc.). You may also find this site useful: Italian Front Militaria.
Generally, any sand colour should do. Remember that in the desert, extreme fading was the norm. Italian industry turned out different shades of cloth as well, even for the same uniforms, so there isn't exactly a right or wrong shade to look for.

Hope that helps,

Nic
PvtParts
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, October 06, 2003 - 09:47 PM UTC
Very helpful, Thankyou..found nice colors at.. Italian army M 40 North Africa Repro..at the site you listed.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 01:46 AM UTC
Nothing to add to what Folgore said but... that often our soldiers wore what they found in the field. After the second take of Tobruk for instance we found something like 80.000 pairs of English desert boots (but in most part they were taken by the Germans) and lots of desert uniforms that were adapted using Italian insignias/markings. Unfortunately as usual it was (apart for the Folgore and a few Cavalry units) a complete mess ranging from the "grigioverde" to whatever they found suitable at the moment...
Ciao
PvtParts
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, October 07, 2003 - 04:02 AM UTC
Gentlemen, I thank you much!
John
 _GOTOTOP