_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
New to sculpting minis, first two greens
Chris_Elizardo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2011 - 12:28 PM UTC
Ok, so I'm really new at this and these two pieces are my first all green stuff sculpts, the first piece is right at 28mm to the top of his head and I'm calling him Radnor Bone Cleaver, he is an Original Concept Ork. The second guy was sculpted based on art that I found on the Reaper site and was a study, I sculpted him before Radnor he is right at 22mm to the top of his head. These two were fun and I learned quite a bit from making them. Ok so on to the next I guess.

Thanks for looking!
Chris

exer
Visit this Community
Dublin, Ireland
entire network: 6,048 Posts
KitMaker Network: 845 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2011 - 11:09 PM UTC
Really good work. can you tell us a bit about your techniques and tools you use.
Chris_Elizardo
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 7 Posts
KitMaker Network: 6 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2011 - 11:42 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Really good work. can you tell us a bit about your techniques and tools you use.

Thanks!

First I should say that I have been sculpting for over twenty years in all kinds of genre but that this is the first time that I have delved into mini sculpting and also the first time I have ever used green stuff as a sculpting medium, my web site address is www.sculptorforhire.com . That being said, for tools I'm using primarily dental tools as with most of my sculpts but I did fashion some smaller tools using fish hooks and needles embedded in small wooden dowels. I'm new to green stuff so I'm definitely not an expert as you can see by the work but I find that I like it, but its will take some getting used to. For the most part, you have to work in sections due to the curing process of green stuff and you have to keep your tool wet with water all the time, I have been told though that you may also use Vaseline to prevent sticking but I'm not ready to try that. I did start these pieces with a magic sculpt base and a wire armature beneath, I made the wire frame and then used magic sculpt to stiffen it up so that it would stay in place and then I just started putting on the green stuff. Sculpting is a lot of fun and minis are really fun to make, I just need to acclimate to the scale.

Thanks for looking!
Chris
 _GOTOTOP