Hosted by Mike Kirchoff
Custom Built 3d Models
cwaldo39
Visit this Community
Alabama, United States
entire network: 4 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2011 - 10:27 AM UTC
Hey guys, I have been in drafting for a couple years in high school, and I was thinking about printing 2-3 of my designs. I know you can send these designs to places like www.kraftwurx.com, and they will make a 3d figurine based off of your design. Has anyone ever tried something like this? I know you'd be able to do models as well as other figurines. Have you guys had any experience with places like this?
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Friday, November 04, 2011 - 11:14 AM UTC
I have heard of some folk trying it, on another forum we had quite a detailled discussion about it all.

The consensus was that the 3D printers do have a bit of trouble with fine detail and tend to be a bit "blocky" but I'd be very interested to see how the latest printers go.

Cheap, totally custom figures is too tempting not to try !
m_buchler
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 137 Posts
KitMaker Network: 33 Posts
Posted: Monday, November 07, 2011 - 06:18 AM UTC
Try sending your 3D files to shapeways.com. Choose their "Frosted Ultra Detail" product if you require very high quality printing. At their website, you can open an account and upload your 3D file. You can then get an instant quote on your project. I tried them and I am very pleased with their product and prices. And no, I don't work for them!
wunwinglow
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 16 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 08:25 AM UTC
There are teechniques that delivery amazing detail, but the resins used then tend to be quite fragile. I used a ProJet HD3000 3D printer to make the master parts for my A34 Comet kit. The masters were very fragile, but made excellent masters for RTV/PU resin castings. http://www.fighting48th.com for a picture or two,

Tim Perry
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 22, 2011 - 11:34 PM UTC
I have used www.printapart.com It's really a great service. It can be a bit pricey so be careful and read the tips on how to design your part/model so it'll be less expensive.
I used it in the project
https://armorama.kitmaker.net//features/1170
 _GOTOTOP