_GOTOBOTTOM
 Community Forum: Filipino Modelers Phorum
Want to meet up with modelers in your country or region? This is the place.
ODD FIND
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 02:41 AM UTC
THERE ARE TWO HOBBY SHOPS IN SAUDI ARABIA. ONE IN JEDDAH AND THE OTHER ONE IN ALKHOBAR WHERE I RESIDE. BOTH ARE OWNED BY THE SAME PERSON. THERE SELL TOYS AS WELL AND YOU CAN FIND SOME TOYS MANUFACTURED FROM 70's BARBIES TO EARLY 80's HE-MAN AND STAR WARS. WELL I FOUND AN ODD KIT MADE BY THE COLLABORATION OF REVELL AND ITALERI, ACTUALLY THE SPELLING ON THE BOX WAS "ITALAEREI". THIS WAS OF A soviet antitank gun, 76.2mm ZIS. 3 M42
1/35 scale # H2112. THIS ARTILERRY PEICE HAS THREE FIGURES, HELPER LOADER AND SPOTTER. THE PLASTIC IS EXCELLENT AND THE DETAIL IS GREAT. THIS IS AN OLD KIT JUDGING BY THE BOX'S DISCOLORATION AND CONDITION. AND IT IS THE ONLY PEICE THEY HAD. I BOUGHT IT IMMEDIATELY. I WONDER IF ANYBODY HAS ENCOUNTERED A KIT LIKE THIS BEFORE?
GIBeregovoy
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 1,612 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,129 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 07:47 PM UTC

Quoted Text

THERE ARE TWO HOBBY SHOPS IN SAUDI ARABIA (snip) [THAT] SELL TOYS (snip) FROM 70's BARBIES (snip)

BARBIES?!? In SAUDI ARABIA?!?!?!? I thought there was a Fatwa on The Insolent-Adulterous-Immoral-Unclean-Western-Decadent-Capitalist Barbie? Hmmm... strange... Barbie being sold in a Muslim country that practices (and espouses) the Wahhabi* version of Islam. That, indeed, is an odd find. Does it come with a burka?

* - In case some of you don't know, the Taliban practices the Wahhabi version of Islam. Same goes for Osama bin Ladin. So, Barbie in a Wahhabi country? The guy selling it is courting disaster with the Religion Police (unless he's got oodles of cash to bribe the authorities).
lonewolf
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 478 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 03:31 PM UTC
Osama plays with dollies?! What the?!

Kinda reminds me of "Sergeant Weenie Arms and his Pencil-necked sissy Dolls"..
Jeepney
Visit this Community
Philippines
entire network: 1,538 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 08, 2003 - 03:37 PM UTC
Barbie, meet Razanne:

Story
mondo
Visit this Community
Mindanao, Philippines
entire network: 1,036 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 09, 2003 - 06:29 AM UTC
He does get problems with those but now it's a bit more liberal here. They are still reluctant to bring in 1/16th scale figures though. That's why I am having some flown in.
 _GOTOTOP