History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
SS Tiger 1 Question
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 05:37 PM UTC
Does anyone know of any battles that took place in
Sept. - October of 1943 or Sept.-Oct. of 1944,
on the Eastern Front between SS Tiger 1's and the Russians?

I need some details, The German units involved.

Please let me know.

~Chip :-)
Cokes
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 06:30 PM UTC
Howdy Chip,

I haven't got much info on SS Tigers, but if you want I have heaps of info on Wehrmacht Panzers, particularly the 502nd Heavy Panzer Battalion, and they had some huge battles with the Soviets during this period, especially with more Stalins appearing during this period.

Let me know,

Cokes.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 04:58 AM UTC
Yeah Cokes,

Could you just post some information in this thread? I am really interested in the autumn battles.
Thanks!

~CHip :-)
Cokes
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 03:09 PM UTC
Well, to start with, 502nd Heavy Panzer Battalion arrived out in the field with their new Tigers in mid 1943 - (earlier on in 1942, Tigers of the 502 s-PzAbt had been sent to Leningrad). They arrived in Mga, Russia which is east of St. Petersburg, by train, nd were receiving heavy artillery fire even as they unloaded them from the train. Furthermore, the 3rd Company Commander was killed before they had even arrived. They fought it out with the Russians until the end of September at battles such as Bunker Village and Sinjawino. Every tank commander was issued with a demolition charge and grenades to destroy the Tigers if needed so that they wouldn't fall into Soviet hands.

Most of this info is from Tigers in the Mud, which is the memoirs of Otto Carius. It's a great book, very informative and an insight into the ordeals, friendship and hard work experienced by all sides of the war in armoured combat. Also, I find http://plasma.nationalgeographic.com/mapmachine/ a great tool for finding places where battles took place.

Hope this helps and I'll post more info soon.

Cheers,

Cokes.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 04:09 PM UTC
Thanks so much Cokes.

I have to ask, why "Cokes"?

~Chip :-)