History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Vassili Zaitsev - Fact or Fiction?
Cokes
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 01:38 PM UTC
Yesterday I watched Enemy at the Gates for the second time - a great movie, especially if you are tired of the regular Americanized war films as it has a completely different feeling to Saving Private Ryan etc. yet is accurate and wonderfully shot.

The star of the film is Vassili Zaitsev aka Jude Law, who according to the Soviets was a sniper instrumental in defeating the German siege of Stalingrad. The Germans apparently feared him so much that they sent the head of their sniper schoo to duke it out with him, and Vassili came out on tops. Furthermore, his rifle is displayed in Stalingrad.

However, some debate that he was created by the Soviets to increase the morale of their troops in what seemed like a hopeless situation. Either way it made for a great movie.

What are your thoughts?
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 03:10 PM UTC
In my opinion I think that Enemy at the Gates is modeled after the book " WAR OF THE RATS" and not the book that is infact named Enemy at the Gates.

I really liked the movie though, it was very good. Heck, if I was a German officer I would look over my shoulder all of the time, and be extra aware of my surroundings!

~CHip :-)
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 04:11 PM UTC
I read in history books that this event occured, no names mentioned but the story I heard is that the Russian came in to hunt the German.
beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 400 Posts
KitMaker Network: 243 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 08:46 PM UTC
Was Vassili Zaitsev a real man? Yes he was . Was he a Sniper in Stalingrad? Again Yes. Was he really that good? Yes he was. Did it happen like in the movie? No it did not. So I guess the answer is Yes and No. That he was fact and that Hollywood made him into fiction.
HTH
Beachbm2
210cav
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 6,149 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,551 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 01:27 AM UTC
I agree with the interfacting of fact and fiction. Yes, he was a marvelous sniper with a girlfriend who also became a sniper. His rifle of choice is still in a museum in Stalingrad. Yes, the Germans sent someone in there to nail him. As I recall in Craig's book "Enemy At The Gate" it has only the briefest passage about him and his exploits which were of immense propaganda value to Stalin.
DJ
greatbrit
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 2,127 Posts
KitMaker Network: 677 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 05:24 AM UTC
this is an exert from 'great battles of world war 2' by john macdonald.
'the russians excelled at sharpshooting and, to redress the balance, heinz thorwald, head of the german snipers school at zossen, was flown to stalingrad. there followed a stalking dual of nearly a week withthe german and a crack russian sniper. for most of the time the german lay in no-mans land covered by a sheet of iron. once his position was finally located, the russian snipers aid raised a helmet on a stick, when the german fired his exact position was revealed and he was killed by a single shot to the head seconds later.'

no source i have ever seen links ziatzev with this event, so maybe hollywood amalgamated the two stories?
cheers
joe
mikeli125
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,595 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,079 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 05:28 AM UTC
does any one know if Vassili Zaitsev survived the war? seems like the german fell for the oldest trick in the book
beachbm2
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 400 Posts
KitMaker Network: 243 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 12:07 PM UTC
Yes He survived the war. Do a google search and I think you will find what you need.
Beachbm2
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 04:08 PM UTC
If I recall right I think I read that he was blinded by a mine that detonated by him/because of him.

He was quite the man! Those Ruskys!

~Chip :-)
Cokes
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 04:29 PM UTC
I've read that he achieved 400 kills, 149 of which occurred in at Stalingrad, so he was undoubtedly talented.

I dug this up though:
The story of Vassili Zaitsev has long been believed to be a historical fact. However, there has not been any documented proof that the legendary sniper duel between Zaitsev and Konig ever took place. As a matter of fact, Beevor's account mentions Koning and other accounts mention a Thorwald. I am inclined to believe that the Soviet Command invented this story to inspire the beleaguered troops of Stalingrad in their darkest hours of fighting the German onslaught. As a matter of fact, I had an occasion to interview an elderly Russian gentleman who claimed to have trained under Zaitsev in Stalingrad. When I asked about the duel, he replied something to the effect of, "Its true if that is want you want to believe". I don't doubt that many duels occurred between the snipers of both sides. However, to believe that the German High Command went to the trouble to commit the chief instructor of their sniper school to finding and killing one Soviet sniper is a lot to accept.

chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 06:44 PM UTC
Cokes's little dig up does bring up an interesting point. Why would they send one of their best snipers, a teacher. To hunt one Soviet sniper?

~Chip :-)