_GOTOBOTTOM
User Support
Having a problem with the site? Post it here.
Site pages loading very slow
firstcircle
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,249 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 12:16 PM UTC
Is it just me? The whole site seems to be loading very slowly, sometimes pages not loading at all. I am checking other sites when this happens and having no problems elsewhere. I understand that adverts load first, but I kind of have this feeling that this has been happening since the Wargaming.net sponsorship started. Certainly there is now that rather elaborate animated banner ad that plays out before the home page will load, but often when switching pages I get a flash of that ad again, then nothing, or a very slow load (like long enough to pop to the lav and back again before it's done type slow )

Anyway, I await the happy chorus of "no problem here"...
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 12:40 PM UTC
All good down under mate, must be a server issue on your side ?
SgtRam
Staff MemberContributing Writer
AEROSCALE
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 3,971 Posts
KitMaker Network: 568 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 01:22 PM UTC
I have to concur with the slowness, I have noticed a bit of a slowness, but it seems to be more recent then the Wargamming ads. Sometimes, it seems to just hang when opening pages, mostly the news, features and forums.

CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 01:22 PM UTC
I noted that issue late in the sfternoon of the 29th but it seems fine now and so I don't believe the adds are the issue.
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 03:03 PM UTC
To be frank, the site's been pretty slow since I joined years ago. I don't believe it has anything to do with ads, just the site's own server. But I really appreciate the efforts of all the admins and support staff
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2011 - 06:28 PM UTC
I was running some maintenance stuff today on the server and besides some obvious down moments we also purged quite a few page caching files. This may lead to a slow-down on some pages (although as soon as I was done I noted an increase in speed so...).

Jim
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 02:49 AM UTC
Maybe the maintenance was the explanation as it seems back to more kind of "normal slow" - like not enough time to make a cup of tea type slow. Still something funny about the way that wargaming ad kind of flicks on momentarily before any page loads, then disappears. Anyway, I guess it pays its way.
staff_Jim
Staff MemberPublisher
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
New Hampshire, United States
entire network: 12,571 Posts
KitMaker Network: 4,397 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 05:38 AM UTC

Hi Matt,

That must be a browser dependant issue as I don't get that using Chrome. If you haven't caught my prior posts about this, I am working on a complete site re-write and that will hopefully speed up the entire site quite a bit while at the same time (ironically) add new features and gizmos we don't have (or that don't work very well if we do). I am looking to release this new version of the site around the beginning of 2012.

Cheers,

Jim

firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2011 - 09:24 PM UTC
Jim, thanks for the update, and that all sounds very good.

Quoted Text

... a browser dependant issue as I don't get that using Chrome.

Chrome?? I'll use Bing to find out exactly what that is...
Tomcat31
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,828 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 31, 2011 - 07:59 AM UTC
I have noticed that the Drop down wargaming ad /Site selector seems to take longer to load on some pages but not others. I'm using the latest version of Firefox (7.0.1) but I'm learning to live with it.

I would love to use Google Chrome but for some reason whenever i install it and try using it, it causes my PC to freeze
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 12:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I have noticed that the Drop down wargaming ad /Site selector seems to take longer to load on some pages but not others. I'm using the latest version of Firefox (7.0.1) but I'm learning to live with it.

I would love to use Google Chrome but for some reason whenever i install it and try using it, it causes my PC to freeze

Are you removing Firefox before installing Google Chrome? There may be an incompatability issue between the two. It's kind of like having two firewalls operating at the same time. Both think the other one is a intrusion attempt. I was my highschool's computer tech my junior and senior year.
firstcircle
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 01:34 AM UTC
Before this turns into a general browser discussion forum... as I'm sure there's plenty of those out there already... the following screenshots may be of interest. This is using IE9, on the left, top and bottom row, is the top and bottom of this thread in "normal" default mode, on the right is the same using IE9's "compatility view" (ahem... "websites for older browsers will often look better, and problems such as out of place menus, text or images will be corrected"). Anyway, the point of interest is the out of place Wargaming ad - the only thing with which there is an apparent problem.

Just a short disclaimer: I am not making any criticism of the site, any adverts or any browser, this is just for information of the site admin who may or may not find it useful.

Tomcat31
Visit this Community
England - North East, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,828 Posts
KitMaker Network: 212 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 01, 2011 - 08:22 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I would love to use Google Chrome but for some reason whenever I install it and try using it, it causes my PC to freeze

Are you removing Firefox before installing Google Chrome? There may be an incompatibility issue between the two. It's kind of like having two firewalls operating at the same time. Both think the other one is a intrusion attempt. I was my high school's computer tech my junior and senior year.

I can't see it being a compatibility issue, I work in IT (network technician) and we to have all the different browsers installed at the same time to test the firewalls, network security, etc, but for some reason my home PC does not like Chrome and always freezes. Like I said it doesn't bother me too much as I can get on with doing other stuff while waiting
 _GOTOTOP