_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Display ideas
Cokes
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 119 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 12:43 AM UTC
How does everyone display their models?

I know that small plastic display cases are an effective method, but they are pretty boring and expensive when I'd prefer to spend $$ elsewhere. A glass cabinet would be great, but being on the move constantly doesn't really help.

How do people display their smallish achievements? I've just got mine on my shelves, but they collect dust at a rate of knots. Any ideas?

Cheers,

Cokes.
bilko
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 584 Posts
KitMaker Network: 200 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 01:05 AM UTC
Well the wingy thingies hang from a 10lb fishing line I have strung across my room ( all 48 scale so I didn't want it to break). High enough up that the dust doesn't show tooooo much - they only get dusted when the cobwebs get too obvious.

The 1/35 armour, attempted dioramas and 120mm figures are to go in a display cabinet I am building. (Well Mark 1 after 2 years in the making has made a trip to the dump and Mark 2 is yet to start. I am too busy modelling to start.)

The 1/350 "Prince of Wales" will sit on a small shelf I have but I intend to make a perspex cover for it.

I know what you mean about moving - I am expecting a transfer mid 2004 and am already shuddering.

Brian
csch
Visit this Community
Buenos Aires, Argentina
entire network: 1,941 Posts
KitMaker Network: 307 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 01:19 AM UTC
Hi Cokes:
For displaying my models I use acrylic cases. I make the base with two plaques of wood. Over them I simulate the terrain (grass, mud, rocks,etc...) and then I put an acrylic case over it. I donīt make by myself the case, I buy it, here one of 22 x 22 x 15 cm costs u$s 8.-
With wood included you go up to u$s 12.-
Then I place the cases in the shelf.
This is not cheap, but I found it was the best way to protect my models from the dust, friendīs hands and my cats. Also if you have to move some to a contest or exhibition they work well because the model is protected against everyting.
See how they look.

Regards

sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 01:26 AM UTC
Hi. Have a small cabinet thing that I picked up at the local hardware store here awhile back that is basically a TV type of cabinet with a big section in the top for the TV should go and it has doors on the front of it. I put a shelf inside this area so I can have two sections to put my models on. We also have a curio cabinet, but the wife does not allow models in there. Only her stuff and our Indian items. So anyway, I am now using this new cabinet in my bedroom to put my models in to keep the dust off, or at elast down to manageable levels. Of course, once this gets full......? So we deal with things as time goes along. My other models I either keep out in cabinets out in the garage, or on shelves in the bedroom, where they are subject to all the hazards of being out in the open.

Good luck and take care, sgirty
rosedale73
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 48 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 03:50 AM UTC
I know this doesn't help entirely, but I got real lucky over a display case. My father in law had a friend of his whose hobby in retirement is cabinet making. The friend manufactured a large display case for my wives figures. The cost for this cabinet was a season ticket for Tranmere Rovers ( a 2nd division soccer team in UK) and they as good as give those away.
Its a big cabinet!

capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 03:21 PM UTC
I have yet to find a solution to the display problem myself. The models that have won something are packed away to keep the dust off. The other ones are just placed wherever I can find a spot. I also just can not seem to find a good reasonable answer. I just hope I do not lose too many models until I am able to find THE answer.
capnjock
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 04:29 PM UTC
Unfrtuneately, those little plastic cases are the best way to go. If you have access to sheets of the clear acrylic, you can make your own which would be cheaper, but dust is dust, and if there is a way into something.....so goes the dust. I have a super soft makeup applying brush about an inch and a half wide that I dust with, but over the yeasr paint fades and the dust gets kind of permanent
Cokes
Visit this Community
New South Wales, Australia
entire network: 119 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 06:39 PM UTC
Thanks for all the ideas guys - csch, your display setup looks great; if not helped a little by the high quality models inside them

Well, looks like I'm going to have to save up for som clear plastic display cases and go that route.

Cheers,

Cokes.
 _GOTOTOP