_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Of Modeling Contest....
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 03:01 AM UTC
If you were to judge a model, what would you probably look out for in the model/dio? I asked so that the next time I entered a contest, I know what to do and impress the judges :-) :-)
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 04:11 AM UTC
In general, make sure you have the basics down pat. Make sure your alignment is spot on, especially the tracks. Make sure you have no stray glue marks, no silvering on the decals, that your paint is well applied, that the model is consistent in its presentation. Make sure your decals have been sealed by the apporpriate dull or gloss finish. Make sure there are no seams. That'll get you past the first cut and put you on your way. As to a dio...after you've paid asttention to what I wrote above, make sure, your story is clear and consistent. try to have a balanced presentation. A dio is more artistic than a single model. Look at fiine art paintings and illustrations and note how the elements point to a central focal point. Your eyes should be drtawn to a single point of the story. Try not to have too many things hapening at once. While this may be historically accurate, artistically this weakens your story. Early on, don't overreach by trying to do too much. Better to have a well designed small dio, that you will complete and be happy with than a huge event with which you'll become bored or frustrated or present too much to be enjoyed. For a dio, remember these three words: plan. Plan. PLAN.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Thursday, October 02, 2003 - 02:22 PM UTC
A. A good guide on how to prepare a model for competition is the judge's guide available from IPMS. It makes a very good checklist to build any model to.
B. Shep Paines book on diorama's is a good place to learn how to think about a dio. Also the stuff on this site has great, great answers to specific questions.
capnjock
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 11:23 AM UTC
I think you got very good advice in the two posts above. From a Judges' viewpoint, when I approach a Diorama I'm looking for exactly what Al pointed out. I appreciate the simplicity and the modeler's effort to tell a story, setting a central focus, without hitting me between the eyes with a whole bunch of "stuff" going on. The finer your attention to basic construction and assembly techniques - the finer the result in the end. Judges love to see well-executed compositions - and gravitate towards them. The size matters little - unless you can translate quality equally across the scene...

Gunnie
blaster76
Visit this Community
Texas, United States
entire network: 8,985 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,270 Posts
Posted: Friday, October 03, 2003 - 04:23 PM UTC
In the builder's category, just remember about seam and mold lines. I've seen them look at the machine guns and see seams on the barrel. Th gun tube of a tank is also a show killer. It's worth the 7 or 8 bucks to get one of the turned aluminum barrels. Check your figures for the same thing gaps in the joints and seam lines on body parts and equipment.
shonen_red
Visit this Community
Metro Manila, Philippines
entire network: 5,762 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,610 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 04, 2003 - 11:06 PM UTC
Thanks guys! I just wanted to win on the next (probably) modeling contest here.
Vann
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 01:25 PM UTC
Also along with the above posts, be sure that you drill out MG barrels. That could be the difference in placing with a model.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 05, 2003 - 03:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

........ 7 or 8 bucks to get one of the turned aluminum barrels......

........7 or 8 buck's?....for a turned aluminum barrel??

Gee blaster, next time I need an AM barrel I will make a point of contacting you for the address of the hobby shop you buy from!

Tread.
 _GOTOTOP