_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Looking for a DSLR camera....
Belt_Fed
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 1,388 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 03:41 PM UTC
I'm in the market for a new DSLR camera and could use some assistance. I dont want to spend anything more than $700, but other than that, i am not sure about any details. What should i look for in a camera in order to take good, high-quality pictures of models?

I was looking at these three models from Nikon, is this a good place to start? My dad has a Nikon cool-pix that he uses for general pictures and he loves the nikon quality.

Sorry if i sould kinds uneducated, i know next to nothing about cameras!
jakes357
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 254 Posts
KitMaker Network: 79 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 04:34 PM UTC
Hi,
I have a Nikon Coolpix 2100 that I use for about everything. I hate cameras(grew up with shutterbug dad) so I like "click" stuff.
This provides clear shots for feebay without too much loss of depth of focus. I paid around $100 for camera,tripod,bag,video card(?) batteries etc about 4 yrs ago on ebay.Everthing I needed to take pictures was included.
It's a 2.0 megapixel which today is pretty low,but for my needs works well,even after an afternoon with my grandson (6) using it. AARRRGH wives.
Anyway I don't think you can go wrong with a Nikon.There are better grade models than mine, in fact I have a Kodak that is supposed to be 'hi zoot" ,but IMHO isn't half the camera the Nikon is.
I'm probably the wrong guy to give advice on cameras considering my earlier statement, but it's easy to use, rugged,and fits in a pocket. At a C-note if it gets lost,stolen or grandsoned it's not a major loss.Just some thoughts.....
Good luck.
Jake
Ps Your're correct it is a addiction....
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
entire network: 283 Posts
KitMaker Network: 96 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 06:15 PM UTC
Hi Jon,

Any of the entry level Nikon DSLRs would be good for your usage. The trick to having a much better image quality would be the glasses, besides having a good low noise DSLR...

Nikon latest D3100, D5100, D7000 would suit your needs just fine if you want brand new... but D7000 would be slightly overkill as it is more for the photography enthusiasts out there (weather sealed, half mag-alloy body, etc, etc).

As for good piece of glass... Do take a look at AF-S 40mm f/2.8 macro lens. This lens is brand new in the market and aimed squarely at crop body DSLRs like the above mentioned cameras. And the price is much more affordable than the Fx counterpart AF-S 60mm f/2.8 (which I have). This lens is Nikon's answer to product photography at crop-body level - costs less than half the Fx lens.

Alternatively, if you don't mind second hand bodies, D3000, D5000, D90 would work well. Use kit lenses if you don't want to spend too much, although image quality would not be comparable to a dedicated macro lens - but it still would be a whole lot better than PnS cameras.

Another important thing is to invest in a sturdy tripod. A good sturdy tripod makes or breaks a possible good quality image. Those poddies that are given freely usually tends to not disperse the vibrations (cause by mirror slapping) too well...hence resulting in slightly blurry image at the micro level. If you notice, these tripods themselves are a bit shaky... Remember to make use of the Exposure Delay Mode when you take the model pictures... if I'm not wrong, D5000/D5100/D90 have it. Not sure about D3000/D3100. It delays the opening of shutters for 1 sec after the mirror is being lifted up - the 1 sec allows the vibration to disperse. Vibration is the No 1 sharp-image killer... You can spend thousands on a good DSLR body only to be wrecked by a cheap and shaky tripod.

Anything you'd like to ask, I'll be here to assist.

I've been taking a complete crash course in photography in the past 1+ years to know what I'm saying. Using a DSLR of course.
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 06:30 PM UTC
Best advice is to go into a dealer and try out different cameras, see which feels most comfortable in your hands and which has the controls that feel most natural to you. Prioritise what you want do do with it and use that list to help in your choice. All of todays cameras are equally capable so it comes down to personal preference. Good lenses and a good tripod are important, but the most important thing in photography is the 14" behind the camera.

Been a keen amatuer 'tog for 40 years now.........and still lovin' it!
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 06:42 PM UTC
Agree with Dave, don't just stick to DSLRs, there are many more options out there that would suit your model photography needs. M4/3s, mirrorless, SLTs, etc, etc... Some of the more expensive PnS would work too.

The reason why I went for a DSLR is because I wanted a lens changer system (image size enough for magazine quality prints) to capture a number of things: kid & family, motorsports, birds, landscape even insect macro... and not forgetting my models of course...

At the end of the day, like dave says - it's the guy behind the camera...
Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 10, 2011 - 11:12 PM UTC
lenses are the key. Modern "clickers" like the coolpix are great devices that suit most peoples needs but where an SLR really shines is the fact that you can changes lenses to suit the task at hand.

My phone has a 10Mpixel camera but takes awefull photos because of the lame lens.

Don't get too worked up by megapixels and functions. Most cameras today have very similar functionality in the software and really before long you'll be switching to manual mode to get the shot right anyway.

One thing to look out for is the ability to shoot RAW images, these are a direct download of the actual data from the photo sensor and allow you to do some really great manipulation later.

For my money I would buy an adequate back, even a second hand one, and match it to 2 really good lenses, maybe a couple of zooms like a 18-70 and a 70-210 or so.

Cameras are for 5 years, lenses are for life, when you want to go for a new back, your lenses will still work on the new one so buy quality that will last.
kriegsketten
Vendor
ECHELON
Visit this Community
Singapore / 新加坡
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2011 - 01:13 AM UTC
Be careful with modern DSLRs as a number of entry level bodies do not Auto Focus or Meter with legacy lenses.

Take for example, Nikon D3000/D3100/D5000/D5100 will not auto focus with AF-D Nikkors (some legacy, some still in production). This is due to the fact that they do no have screw motors on the body to drive the AF gears in the older lenses. Only more advanced models like D70/80/90/7000 and upwards have built in screw motors on the bodies. Modern Nikon entry level DSLRs have to depend on AF-S lenses (with motors built-in) for Auto Focusing.

D80/90 (probably D70) will not meter with even older Nikkors (Ai/AiS) lenses. More advanced bodies can do this.

Therefore, don't assume if you get a D3000, you can use any legacy lenses right away - you might end up unable to Auto Focus or even meter with them.

Such are the traps with modern DSLRs. Not just Nikon, Canon have unusual problems of their own too regarding lenses.

Do a bit of research first before you go with a particular brand or model. Google is your best friend. With Nikon, I can help since I've already done my research with their current lines and some legacy lenses.
 _GOTOTOP