TV, Movies, and Games
Talk about TV, Movies, Gaming or anything entertainment related.
The Unknown War now at Amazon!
PBR_Streetgang
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 62 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 07:00 PM UTC
All,

The series The Unknown War is now available at Amazon!

The Unknown War is the Russo-German conflict of WW2. It was made in response to the British Series The World at War. This was an outstanding series, but was slanted more to the Allies and even more so to the Brits. The Unknown War is in the same genre as this.

It is nararated by Burt Lancaster. It was produced during the Breshnev reign, so it is very slanted in Soviet propaganda. But the footage is outstanding. It's (I believe) 23 episodes and covers every major battle in the war. I was in college when it aired on TV. I was working on the play Canterbury Tales. Me and another tech took over the TV in the green room, where the actors wait. We weren't missing the Battle of Kursk!

I purchased my copy as a public domain copy on e-bay. It was recorded off the air. This, supposedly, is enhanced, so the video footage is much better. But I have not personally seen this version.

The price is right (about $25) and this is the only piece of documentary on the Eastern Front I know of. Outside of Cross of Iron, not much made on the Eastern Front, which was 80% of WW2 in Europe!

Check it out! If anyone buys it, post a follow-up.

Tanks!

Bill B.