_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Can spurs be recycled?
Matt182
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 269 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 12:28 AM UTC
Hi all,

I have loads of empty dragon, tamiya and trumpeter spurs taking up loads of space. Can they be recycled?

Cheers
Matt
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 02:17 AM UTC
Hi Matt,
Can the sprue be recycled? You betcha! Several ways/things you can do with it. I have a box that has nothing but stretched pieces of it inside. I use these for cables, wiring, piping etc. Simply stretch a bunch of it to differing diameters and lengths, cut to size to fit in the box and you're done.
I also clipped a bunch of the sprue into small pieces that would fit inside a tightly sealed bottle. I filled it about 3/4 of the way up with the pieces, then added an entire bottle of Tamiya liquid cement (Orange cap) to it. It melted the sprue into a thick slurry that I can use as filler in certain applications. I can apply it with a toothpick, or small metal spatula I have for just this purpose.
Extra sprue can also be used as filler for older armor kits. Older Tamiya armor kits had motorization holes in the bottom of the hulls. A few well placed pieces of sprue sealed in place with some CA/superglue made short work of filling to holes.
There are lots of uses for the sprue pieces. These are just a few I have mentioned. Hope this helps and gives you some ideas..
"Q"
DaveCox
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 4,307 Posts
KitMaker Network: 788 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 02:51 AM UTC
I put my scrap sprue and busted up kit parts in with all the other recycled plastics. Most local councils can recycle it along with egg cartons, milk bottles etc.

(that is any that you don't stretch or tun into filler!)
Matt182
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 269 Posts
KitMaker Network: 23 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 03:29 AM UTC
Thanks for the responses guys. I will keep some of it for stretching and stick the rest in a recycling bank. Matt, good idea using some of it as a filler, must try that!

Cheers
Matt
 _GOTOTOP