_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modeling supplies for soldier son
Firecap4
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 309 Posts
KitMaker Network: 20 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 03:28 PM UTC
My son is currently deployed with the Georgia National Guard to Afghanistan, and would like to build some models during down time to while away the hours....we have sent him some kits, however, upon attempting to send him assembly supplies the postal service and modeling suppliers won't allow paints and glues to be shipped via airmail. I know there are military modeling clubs active in-theatre, but none are close to where he is. Any suggestions?

Jessie_C
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 6,965 Posts
KitMaker Network: 609 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 03:47 PM UTC
Send him another kit with the paints inside the box. You may wish to send acryllics since they're non-toxic and non-flammable. Send superglue for the same reasons. That way you will be able to truthfully state that you are not sending dangerous goods through the mail.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 05:47 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Send him another kit with the paints inside the box. You may wish to send acryllics since they're non-toxic and non-flammable. Send superglue for the same reasons. That way you will be able to truthfully state that you are not sending dangerous goods through the mail.

If you need to send him a plastic glue non toxic you could keep the Limonene Tamiya cement

https://armorama.kitmaker.net/review/5877

I don't know exactly but most likely is also a non flammable product.

Cheers
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, October 03, 2011 - 04:07 PM UTC
Hi Chuck,

Very simple answer. Shop online at LuckyModel .
They are reliable. I have shopped with them many, many times. Their prices are very low. They ship SAL small packet and have no restrictions on shipping solvent glues or paints to the USA and certainly not to Afghanistan. Just list your son's address as the delivery address and yours as the billing address and they take care of the rest for you. They have 8 different paint lines and 2 cement lines - Tamiya Extra Thin is the choice of the pros. You can get him everything he could want without dealing with the local PO. LuckyModel is in Hong Kong so it doesn't have to travel too far, either.
cdharwins
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 491 Posts
KitMaker Network: 28 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2011 - 05:13 AM UTC
Hi Chuck,

I'm in Afghanistan too. I had a kit and glue sent to me here directly from Sprue Brothers with no problem.

Chris
Firecap4
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Chuck,

Very simple answer. Shop online at LuckyModel .
They are reliable. I have shopped with them many, many times. Their prices are very low. They ship SAL small packet and have no restrictions on shipping solvent glues or paints to the USA and certainly not to Afghanistan. Just list your son's address as the delivery address and yours as the billing address and they take care of the rest for you. They have 8 different paint lines and 2 cement lines - Tamiya Extra Thin is the choice of the pros. You can get him everything he could want without dealing with the local PO. LuckyModel is in Hong Kong so it doesn't have to travel too far, either.

Thanks Matthew; Lucky Model completely slipped my mind; sounds like the way to go.
Firecap4
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 09:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Chuck,

I'm in Afghanistan too. I had a kit and glue sent to me here directly from Sprue Brothers with no problem.

Chris

Hi Chris;
Hmmmm interesting; SB was the first place I checked and all the glue had the note that it couldn't be mailed; I may have looked at it wrong, and will have to check with them again since I order stuff for myself from them regularly. Thanks for your service and stay safe!
 _GOTOTOP