_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Putting on a natural metal finish
Jbaaron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 09:47 AM UTC
Hello, fellow builders!

I have recently decided to construct one of the HobbyCraft B-36 D jet pod bomber kits and I really wish to make it look its best. I have built a model of the famed b-29 "Bockscar" and have a custom build of the b-29 "Fifi" sitting on the shelf, but I was never really able to protect the chrome and aluminum from oil stains from handling. Needless to say, the HobbyCraft kit is hard to get these days and I want to try a well done natural metal finish on this one as I plan to make a diorama with it later. Any one who has had experience in natural finishes who could offer advice, I would be sincerely appreciative! The kit is currently not started and still in it's bags.
Thank you so much!

-Josh. B
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 12:04 PM UTC
Firs of all, good luck with Hobbycraft. Their armor kits are horendous. I worked in a steel mill for a while. Alclad offers the best paint line for natural metal. I assume that the finish you are looking for is either aluminum or steel. Spent quite a bit of time with aluminum. Again, Alclad is the way to go. There are tools out there that will allow you to chrome plastic, but they run about $200. Best value is Alclad.
Jbaaron
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 10 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 27, 2011 - 05:02 PM UTC
I appreciate your help. I was hoping to work with aluminum and chrome. I have heared in the past that Alclad is a good option for metallic aircraft. Another issue is protecting against the awful oil stains that fingers leave on metal painted surfaces- I have tried to handle it using gloves before.
 _GOTOTOP