_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Trouble with airbrush!
james84
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
entire network: 1,368 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 10:51 AM UTC
Hello all,
I was preparing my airbrush today and noticed that the needle didn't come out, it was stuck with the nozzle.I forced it out of the airbrush by pulling it and managed to clean it, but when reinserting the part into the airbrush it didn't seal the nozzle properly. So I cleaned the nozzle, but no way. Whenever I sprayed air, a bit of liquid came out.
I cleaned it again and screwed it in place with the tool provided. I ended up breaking the threaded end and was compelled to order a new nozzle. Luckily I managed to extract the broken part...
Apart from this tragic ending, why did the needle stick to the nozzle and didn't come out? What did I do wrong? I'm sure I cleaned the airbrush well in the past, maybe it needed a better clean?
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 11:39 AM UTC
Based on my experiences, there was still paint on the needle/in the nozzle that caused the two to stick together. Even after a thorough cleaning, the needle always seems to stick the next time I go to spray. I've never had it as bad as what you described, but my guess would still be paint. Try the following: 1, spray the appropriate thinner through the brush at a higher pressure; 2, take all the necessary parts off (ie, needle, nozzle, and cup) and clean thoroughly by hand with thinner and Q-tips; 3, if that turns out to not be enough, then let the offending pieces sit overnight in the appropriate thinner. I've done that with my needle/nozzle and it works every time for me. Hope that works out for you!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 12:17 PM UTC
does sound like a cleaning problem,I had same type of problem useing vallejo paints big build upin the nozzle requireing a overnight soak in badgerAB cleaner I now use vallejo retarder to stop the paint drying so fast and it seems to work.You can get tiny dental brushes from super markets which are goodfor cleaning the nozzle.
james84
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 07:13 PM UTC
Thanks!
Hopefully tomorrow I'll get the new nozzle.
After careful examination with a magnifier I noticed the needle is not straight, although the tip looks ok, but if the airbrush worked well so far, I think this is not the problem.
Anyway, I'll get some appropriate product to clean it well! I'll keep you updated!
Have a nice weekend!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 08:36 PM UTC
IMO The best way to keep your ab working properly is to run some acetone through it after every use. Since I started doing this, about two weeks ago, my ab has been spraying like it was brand new.
james84
Visit this Community
Roma, Italy
Posted: Monday, September 26, 2011 - 07:29 AM UTC
Ok, nozzle replaced... as soon as I tried to install it it fell on the table, but at a close look it seems to be fine. Anyway, as soon as I tried to spray some water the flush is not regular, there is a pulsating and intermittent spray when the trigger is pulled slightly, but it becomes regular when it's fully pulled... do you think I have to get a new needle too?
 _GOTOTOP