Need new compressor - anyone got one of these
toby2282
Visit this Community
England - North West, United Kingdom
entire network: 195 Posts
KitMaker Network: 24 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 11:49 PM UTC
Hi,

Having had my Ripmax fail on me yesterday - am looking for a decent compressor with separate tank, moisture trap and pressure gauge. I am on a bit of a budget so the Iwata's are out of my price bracket. I saw this one and wondered whether anyone has one and if so is it any good.

AB-AS196 Twin Cylinder Mini Piston type "0n-demand" compressor with receiver and Dual Switch for Airbrushing Ref: AB-AS-196

http://everythingairbrush.com/acatalog/AS_Series.html

Compressor is halfway down page!!

This Twin Cylinder piston compressor at delivers enough Air Volume (CFM) and Air Pressure (PSI) to meet the demands of several airbrushes. The AB-AS196 has a 3.0 litre receiver tank that has its pressure maintained automatically by the compressor. With a dual position switch, it is possible to select 2 modes of operation: In position 1,once it has reached an output pressure of 57 PSI it shuts off automatically and restarts when required. In position 2, the compressor will run continuously and reach a maximum pressure of 87 PSI. Compact, portable and quiet (59db) it provides an oil free air supply that is ideal for designers, modellers, artists, cake decorators, nail art and spray tanning.

Ultra quiet (59db) - can be used unobtrusively in the home
Maintenance free oil-less twin cylinder piston design with lightweight aluminium construction
3.0 litre Receiver tank - ensures pulse free output, and use of up to 4 airbrushes simultaneously (adaptor required)
Constant pressure and Zero pulsation
Auto stop and start: Stops at 57 PSI, Starts at 35 PSI
Pressure gauge and Professional Regulator - fully adjustable to 0 psi
Water trap and air filter
Rubber feet
Ideal for all airbrushes and HVLP mini spray guns

Motor - 240V 60Hz 1Ph
Power rating - 150W
Air tank: 3.0L
Maximum pressure - 87 psi
1/8 BSP male outlet
Air displacement - 30 litres/min
Weight - 7.2kg

Price:    £109.56

Thanks

Toby
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 03:08 PM UTC
I'd recommend bailing on the airbrush-specific compressors and buying yourself a hardware compressor. They're cheaper, easier to obtain, have larger capacities, and just as many capabilities as the craft compressors. I'm not aware if sears.com deliver to Brits, but if they do get yourself this. It's the one I use and I couldn't be happier. It's about half the price of the one you listed, 3 gallon (11.3 litre) tank, hose included, goes up to 100PSI so you can use it around the house too. It's very quiet too...I don't know the decibel level, but I've used it in my house at night before with no complaints from anyone. And with the large tank, you only need one charge, two max, for an average spray session. Look into it!
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 05:20 AM UTC
Hi Toby,I have the AS186 had it for ten years very reliable and quiet Ideal for Air brushing.go for it.
sword86
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 25 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2011 - 07:19 AM UTC
I would concur, except the hardware compressors are typically more powerful and you pay the price noise-wise. I have two compressors; one a dedicated a/b one, and the other a 3 gallon pancake hardware compressor. There is no way I can use the hardware compressor in my apartment. I even think that sometimes the other one is too loud. I guess what I'd like is one as quiet as one in a refrigerator.

For me, the next most important thing is receiver capacity. The longer you can work without having the unit fire up the better, IMO. I always leave the unit 'off' after filling the receiver so I don't get the bejessus scared out of me when it fires up without me expecting it. You just have to take care to see your pressure doesn't drop off too far it hinders your a/b's function.

_GOTOTOP