Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Kids Still Ineterested
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 07:21 AM UTC
Soon after I began seeing my therapist, I gave her one of my 1/72 models. She set it on her desk and there it remained for a year. At my last appointment, she said that a five year old client of her's really wanted the tank. "Give it to him/her", I said. I will be leaving another 1/72 model on her desk at my next appointment. Hopefully, the child will become interested in how to build his own tanks, planes, ships. Until then, I will keep supplying her with models to go to her other patients who show interest. Modelling isn't tank due to the "here and now" generation. It is going under because the hobby is no longer advertised. As long as there is a will to create with your own two hands, modelling will survive.
4-BO-Green
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 270 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 08:41 AM UTC
I hope so Matt...

Today the ''youngsters'' are very intrested in playstation, facebook, football (American and the soccer kind) and reality tv (the m is gone from m-tv )
I have been ridiculed manny times for doing a ''childish'' hobby. They like the result (''does it realy drive? No. O, to bad... ) But if you mention the time they are saying its a waste

I think that the hobby is gone ''elite''. A playstationgame is about 60 euro here, a nice kit (that fits) 35 a 40 euro, paint, cutting tools, files enz. i think i come up to 80 a 90 euros. And they must have to put it togetther also...

Regards,

Remco
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 09:07 AM UTC
Collecting the tools is half the fun. We have to remember, children have very active imaginations. They strive to create their own perception of life. Modelling satisfies this creative drive and allows for an active imagination. IMHO modelling has no marketing skills, unless you are already part of the club you may never hear of them. My daughter took avid interest in my model building at the kitchen table. Unfortunate events in my life keep me from cultivating that interest and watching it grow into a next generation modeller. The point I'm trying to make is, the interest is there. I loved building as a child. I remember going to the hobby store and looking at all of the cool models. By the time I was 6, I already had one of my dios on display. Be a positive influence on a child by getting them interested in modelling. I fear that no "next gen" modellers will result in soaring prices. I've already seen an unbuilt Cyber Hobby kit go for $325 on Ebay. If one out of every ten of us tried to provide a child with the proper environment and tools, I believe we can save this past time.
FAUST
Visit this Community
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 11:03 AM UTC
Well it depends a bit on how you bring it to kids these days.. I think the young people can do it.. but in this day and age where information comes with a mouseclick and a few taps on the Keyboard the hardest thing is to keep their attention.

however that said. James May... Well known from Top gear has a program here on the Discovery Channel called Toy Stories. In the program he tries to interest the new generations for the toys of his youth. Subjects like Plasticine, Mechano, Scalextric, Modelrailroads etc. And he does this by trying to make ridiculously big projects. And it is really funny to see. He built the complete Brooklands racetrack in Scalextric. Only a quarter of the track is still left but he went through factories and a small village to complete every 4,4 km of the worldfamous racetrack. He did a 10+ km modelrailroad. And i can go on.

And the first episode of James mays Toy Stories was about Airfix. And he went all out and built a 1:1 airfix kit of the Spitfire with a group of schoolkids. but one of the funniest things I saw in that episode was where he took kids to a training ground for tankcrews to shoot a movie where they blew up their own made tanks with firecrackers... and one kid didn't want to because he was proud of his creation..... Priceless.

Check out the program here on Youtube
James Mays Toy Stories Ep1 part 1
James Mays Toy Stories Ep1 Part 2
James Mays Toy Stories Ep1 Part 3
James Mays Toy Stories Ep1 part 4
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 2,539 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 03:11 AM UTC
I don't know about all kids, but i can speak for my own. I have two (a girl age 8 & a boy age 6), and both have already built models. They have also won awards at a local model car & truck show two years ago for their 1/32 Mack CF600 Pumpers (2nd Place, All Trucks, Junior Division).

Matthew's (age 4)

Marilla's (age 6)

They have also build a couple of 1/100 airplanes & helicopters & 1/25 cars. I think they enjoy it, Probably not as much as gymnastics & "Avatar", but they do like it. I think they might want to build something again this winter. We'll see!

Jim
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 03:24 AM UTC
Hi guys. Like Jim, it's a topic close to my heart. I started out building trucks with Dad, and my interests changed to aircraft a few years later. Now I'm teaching my boys, and when their friends visit and see me at the bench they ask endless questions as well. I am thinking about getting a small group of school kids together for a school holiday "workshop" here at home.

I started a thread on this topic a while back, and a few guys have chimed in now. Take a look HERE .

Jim, tell your rugrats that they have a fan down under, great work on both of those pumpers !

Cheers, D
4-BO-Green
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 05:21 AM UTC
The thing that bothers me the most is that kids don't come in contact with modeling the ''useual'' way. Toystores here don't sell kits like they used to do in the past... They maked way for Playstation, X-box and wii games...

So, its nice Matt to make a new young modeler and hope he become a major name in modeling and telling his story about the first time he came in contact with the magic world of modeling...
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 06:59 AM UTC
Remco: I know what you mean. Even the hobby stores in Jacksonville are limited. There are plenty of plastic kits, but no am stuff to be found. Walmart stopped carrying models years ago. The only contact children have is from parents and a occassional friend. IMHO very few would enjoy going to a hobby store. The trick is to get them interested, outside of a store. I found a good way through my therapist, but that is extremely limited. Perhaps take them to a war museum or local battlefield. Even airshows and car shows would work. When they see something they want, introduce them to a relevant kit.

Damian: That's good to hear. Always enjoy hearing about the little guys taking an interest in models. My grandfather bought me my first model. A 1/48 C130 that I let him assemble(I was only 4 or 5). It never got painted, but I caught the bug.

James: You have two talented kids. When are you going to sign them up for the forum?
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 08:39 AM UTC
Thanks, Matt. Let's give them a couple of years before I sign them of for any Forums.

Most of the hobby shops around here are heavy into trains & R/C. Seems to be pretty popular: work on your train set while the snow flys, and in the summer do your R/C thing to get outside. Of course one hobby shop here has an indoor track & indoor fly-ins during the winter.

I think most kids are introduced to hobbies through their parents, and most kids think that Michael's, AC Moore, & Hobby Lobby are hobby shops!

Jim
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 09:51 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks, Matt. Let's give them a couple of years before I sign them of for any Forums.

Most of the hobby shops around here are heavy into trains & R/C. Seems to be pretty popular: work on your train set while the snow flys, and in the summer do your R/C thing to get outside. Of course one hobby shop here has an indoor track & indoor fly-ins during the winter.

I think most kids are introduced to hobbies through their parents, and most kids think that Michael's, AC Moore, & Hobby Lobby are hobby shops!

Jim

They may not be hobby shops, but they are a great place to find consumables and tools.
4-BO-Green
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 10:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Remco: I know what you mean. Even the hobby stores in Jacksonville are limited. There are plenty of plastic kits, but no am stuff to be found. Walmart stopped carrying models years ago. The only contact children have is from parents and a occassional friend. IMHO very few would enjoy going to a hobby store. The trick is to get them interested, outside of a store. I found a good way through my therapist, but that is extremely limited. Perhaps take them to a war museum or local battlefield. Even airshows and car shows would work. When they see something they want, introduce them to a relevant kit.

Damian: That's good to hear. Always enjoy hearing about the little guys taking an interest in models. My grandfather bought me my first model. A 1/48 C130 that I let him assemble(I was only 4 or 5). It never got painted, but I caught the bug.

James: You have two talented kids. When are you going to sign them up for the forum?

Matt: Next year i am going to Orlando (third time) and maybe find some modelstores there

James: your kids are making nice things. Love that big American firetrucks

Remco
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 01:22 AM UTC
Thanks, Remco. It's a 1/32 Revell snap kit. The kit is a little short on detail, but with some work it can be a really nice model. I think I might have to get one for myself.

Jim
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 02:01 AM UTC
Jim good choice on the name Matthew. "gift of God" or shortened to "Matt" "warrior"
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 02:33 AM UTC
My son (4 as of this past Saturday) and I built the Academy 1:200 Space Shuttle this past weekend. He likes building the kit, but of course the models become toys. Even still, I'm happy that he gets to 'build' something with his hands.

Remember that even the 20-35 year old modelers today grew up in a world of video games and cable television. But yes, access to the hobby has become harder.
jimb
Visit this Community
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2011 - 03:05 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Jim good choice on the name Matthew. "gift of God" or shortened to "Matt" "warrior"

It was my wife's idea. Both names (Marilla & Matthew) are characters in "Anne of Green Gables".

Jim
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 22, 2011 - 05:41 AM UTC
I was put on the spot in choosing my daughter's name. During surgery, my ex decided she didn't like the name we had chose. I had to come up with a name that nobody in her family shared. Five minute pick was "Alexis".