_GOTOBOTTOM
Photography
Questions about shooting your models and dioramas? Ask here.
Photo test. Super-Resolution Technique
Delbert
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 2,659 Posts
KitMaker Network: 865 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 10:00 AM UTC
Howdy everyone.

I am testing out a technique called super resolution by the program I'm using.

Basicly you take a series of photos 7 + load them into the program and it uses some kind of math called algorithms to combine them into one super large image, and some other stuff to reduce noise and improve your basic photo.

The subject is my 1/72 scale tiger. a very small subject ..

I used my Polaroid 12 mp I1236 camera.

I took the base photos outside but not in direct sunlight.. a bit overcast today.

I used the same settings in photoshop on both my base photo and the super resolution photo. I adjusted the lighting a little and had to resize both images using the same settings.

The first image is of one of the base photos. its been downsized to about 22%

The second photo is of the super resolution result photo taken from 8 base photos. it is downsized to about 10%. The orignal was about 8000 pixals in size.

I kept the photo editing to a minimum and tried to keep the same settings with both images.. (i pretty much only adjusted the lighting and shadows a little)

I think there is a bit of improvement and the extra effort may be worth the payoff.

anyways this is just part of my work to improve my photos, and thought i'd post the results.

Magpie
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 653 Posts
KitMaker Network: 140 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 11:57 AM UTC
You can certainly see a sharpness to the second photo and the colours look a little more "pastely" which I am guessing is closer to the true look of the Tiger?

What software are you using?

Are you shooting in RAW or Jpeg mate?
Delbert
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 12:31 PM UTC
Hi Scott..

the program is called Photo Acute. I'm trying to improve my photo skills.

My camera isn't the best, but it works for macro.. its a Polaroid i1236 12 megapixal. its shoots in .jpeg at a resolution of 4000x3000 pixals.

I set up my tripod take multiple (8) photos from same spot. and then the program uses the info from those photos to make a new photos. of around 7500x5500 pixals. and I'm afraid you can see too much detail.. lol then i use photoshop to downsize em.

here are a couple of more I just did of my latest build.

Delbert
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 12:39 PM UTC
BTW

If anyone is a glutten for large file size punishment then here is a link to one of the full images..

link to full size tiger model picture 2.5 megs
dbudd
Visit this Community
entire network: 229 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 05:44 AM UTC
I've done a lot of photography (link below to photos I've taken) and I don't understand how that is supposed to work. If you take the same picture repeatedly there is no new information so combining them doesn't really do anything. Looking at your test pictures I don't see anything that makes me think differently. They just look as if the lighting was slightly different.

I think you are better of taking one good picture, basically doing what you are doing. Meaning using a tripod so there is no motion, making sure the focus is correct and good lighting.

www.fotki.com/dbudd
FAUST
Visit this Community
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 8,797 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,186 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 06:38 AM UTC
Ola Delbert

Looks a bit like a mix up between Photostitching software and Photoenlargement software. And you are currently using it more as the latter I think. Looking at the High res picture it seems like exactly the same thing Photozoom does. By changing the pixels to sort of brushstrokes based on color groups. I have worked numerous times and it works pretty neat. The way I think they intended it with the stitching part of the program is that you take macro closeups of several sections of the vehicle and with the program it calculates it all together.
I make a lot of panorama's and I use Autopano And some of those panorama's can consist of a lot of images.
Some examples:
45 pics stitched together
Castle Schaloen

45 Pics Stitched together
Valkenburg City wall

60+ Pics stitched together
Spanish Villa in the valley

9 Pics stitched together
Derelict wooden village

All of these walkarounds are huge in Pixels... Ranging in width from 8000 to 10,000 px

I think this is the same way the program you are working with works. You might give it a try.
Removed by original poster on 07/10/17 - 01:54:29 (GMT).
 _GOTOTOP