_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Punch and Die
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Zuid-Holland, Netherlands
entire network: 4,808 Posts
KitMaker Network: 360 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 07:14 AM UTC
Dear all,

I have some questions about punch & dies.
I am looking for a new one because my old Historex one is kind of.. dead.. The discs aren't that crisp anymore. And besides that, it is not working fine anymore.

So, looking for an other (not the historex again!) I came on this site.

http://umm-usa.com/onlinestore/index.php?cPath=21_145

I'm talking about the 3D DETAIL TOOLS

I want to know, what is the quality, is it useful for 1/35 modelling. Is it sturdy? Has someone experience with this brand?
Or are there other good quality punch & dies? I do not want a fragile one.

Thanks for helping me out!

Hilbert

HILBERT
Visit this Community
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 09:55 PM UTC
No one?
Grumpyoldman
Staff MemberConsigliere
KITMAKER NETWORK
Visit this Community
Florida, United States
entire network: 15,338 Posts
KitMaker Network: 5,072 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 09:58 AM UTC
Hilbert, how you doing?
I have not bought or use the 3D sets you are talking about, as I'm still using my Waldrons sets I bought years ago, but if I was considering a new set, I would probably spring for these, as the look robust enough to last, especially the smaller diameter ones. I like the look of the HEX set. (I have the Historex set that still working fine for me) But probably would buy the 3D as a replacement when the time or need comes up.
Hopefully UMM-USA will be at the AMPS-EAST show next week end, and I can take a better look at the in person.
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 10:49 AM UTC
Hi Dave,

It's fine with me. Can you look for me when there are there on AMPS-EAST? I would like to know you opinion. But I have seen some disadvantage though, if I want to make a circle with a hole in it, I cant' look in there and place the "bolt" correctly.

But still, I'm curious.

Thanks!

Hilbert
fireman110
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 26 Posts
KitMaker Network: 14 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 01:44 PM UTC
Hilbert

If your interested I can send you a step by step on how to make your own set by using some micro drills and some aluminan rod. It will save you a lot off money and they work as good as the waldron ones.

Neil
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 02:56 PM UTC
Hi Hilbert, I have the UMM Hex set and it is great. It's not cheap by any means, but it is very well made. I believe I paid $45 for it. I bought mine while attending the IPMS USA national convention this last month. I also bought an entire set of the Rosie the Riveter's he had on hand. So much nicer than the Excel set I had. Very fine points on the wheels, no slop or play in them when rolled. A very well made product. Everything John makes is excellent. I have had nothing but success with the products I have purchased from him. Hope this helps. "Q"
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 02:03 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hilbert

If your interested I can send you a step by step on how to make your own set by using some micro drills and some aluminan rod. It will save you a lot off money and they work as good as the waldron ones.

Neil

I would be interested!
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 03:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hilbert

Neil

I would be interested!

Me too, a lot!
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 05:18 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hilbert

Neil

I would be interested in your step by step. ltcjanelson(at)att(dot)net

Thank you!
HILBERT
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 11:23 PM UTC
Hi Neil,

I'm interested in the "how to make a punch & die by your own".

My email address is: h.zuijdendorp(at)hotmail(dot)com

Thanks!

fireman110
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, September 18, 2011 - 07:05 AM UTC
Hi Guys

I will post somthing tomorrow I am at work for the next 24hrs and the SBS is on my computer at home . The total cost for the set was around 15 canadian dollars . It will give you a set of punches and dies from #69 to #80. And can be done with minimal tools.

Neil
fireman110
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 08:31 AM UTC
This is part 1 guys
The Punch and die SBS
Well here we go guys. I will try and keep this simple. Being a scratch builder a true punch and die set was something I wanted but couldn’t bring myself to pay the prices that are asked for maybe half a dozen punches. So this is how I solved that problem.

Materials:
1. Set of miniature drill sizes #80 to #61 (0.0135" to 0.0390"). These cost me $5.40 at a place in Canada called Lee Valley. They have their own web site.
2. A rod of 1/4 stainless steel. Don’t buy the K S stuff go to your local hardware supper store I got mine at Lowes or even home hardware here in Canada it was about $4.00. You will get 3 times as much as at you LHS which sells K and S.
3. One clear acrylic picture frame from a dollar or pound store. This is the type with the thick base that has the 2 vertical panels that the picture is sandwiched between.
4. Some brass rod approx. 3mm a piece of the K and S stuff is fine.
Construction:
First the base, take the picture frame and break the 2 vertical panels off or cut them flush with the base.
This will then leave a channel in the acrylic piece which will become the base for the punch set.
You will have to make this channel a little deeper which can be done with a hand file. You will want to make sure that you do not take out to much material. I left about 4 mm.
The next step is to take a piece of the vertical acrylic pieces that you broke off and cut it to the same size as the top of the base you have just made.
Next take the base and the piece of acrylic you have just cut and tape it to the top of the base which has the channel cut into it.
Now you are going to take a drill the same size as the brass rod and drill a hole in each corner making sure you do not go all the way through the base. If it’s a tight fit all the better, make sure that at this point you mark one end of the base and the acrylic top. This will aid you in always making sure the holes are lined up. Place a little super glue on the brass rod that you have cut to just clear the top panel and push them into the holes. Leave it to dry for a while, make sure you don’t glue the top sheet to the base.
Take the base and the top panel and put the two together now mark out 20 even spots along the middle of the base with the channel below.
fireman110
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 08:33 AM UTC
This is part 2
Once that has been done you can now take the drills and place them in a drill or your Dremel and drill a hole at each of the marks thru the top sheet and thru the base. The trick here is to only have enough of the drill out of the chuck to clear the top sheet and just go through the base into the grove you have cut. And don’t go to fast, do this for each of the drills in the set 20 times from largest to the smallest.
At this point you now have the die portion constructed, test fit the top end of the drills in some of the holes. I pushed each drill through the holes to check that they were clear.

Now on to the punches. Take the stainless steel rod and cut off 20 even pieces I made mine about 20mm in length. Once this has been done take a marker and mark the center of each piece where the shaft of the punch will go. Again starting with the drills drill a hole in the top of each rod don’t go to deep or to fast as the drill will break. Just take your time to complete this part. If you do break one of the finer drills just use a larger on for the hole.
Now at this point the drills will be dull and of no more use. You will need to cut the drill bit so that it is long enough to go thru the base plus give it some extra for the thickness of the material you will be going thru . I made mine 15mm in length. At this point take the cut end of the drill shaft and super glue it into the hole you drilled in the rod. Making sure it is straight.

You should now have your punches and dies. All I did next was to print off the various sizes and clue them on the base and the corresponding punch.
Total cost was around the 12 dollar Canadian mark. For which I got 20 punches.
fireman110
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 08:47 AM UTC
Pictures can be seen on photobucket under firemanneils album
if any one wants more info i can be contacted at realmenfightfiresathotmaildotcom
SSGToms
Visit this Community
Connecticut, United States
entire network: 3,608 Posts
KitMaker Network: 512 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 19, 2011 - 03:31 PM UTC
Hilbert,

I have the UMM mini punch and die, maxi punch and die, hexagonal punch and die, and the scriber. In 43 years of model building, all are the best of their types I have ever used. They are all of the highest quality machining, superior materials, lifelong durability, and easy to use. I am very happy I bought all of them and feel they are an excellent value.
I put them right up there with my Iwatas and my Hold n' Fold in my reverence for an exceptionally fine tool.
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 03:17 AM UTC
Thanks a million Neil. I'll try to do it for sure
majjanelson
Visit this Community
South Carolina, United States
entire network: 1,355 Posts
KitMaker Network: 336 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 03:29 PM UTC
Yes, thank you, Neil.

This is appears to be a very reasonable alternative to higher quality manufactured punch & die sets.
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 278 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 02:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Pictures can be seen on photobucket under firemanneils album
if any one wants more info i can be contacted at realmenfightfiresathotmaildotcom

Hi Neil,
Tried to look up your photos on photobucket but your album can't be found.

Cheers, John
fireman110
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 05:12 AM UTC
hey john try this go to photobucket the firemanneils photos then firemanneils profile if that dosent work I can email you some pictures.

Neil
SHarjacek
Visit this Community
Croatia Hrvatska
entire network: 977 Posts
KitMaker Network: 88 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 06:34 AM UTC
Didnt find anything either,could you please email me them at : svenharjacek(at)gmail(dot)com

Kind regards,Sven.
fireman110
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 07:10 AM UTC
Hey guys I uploaded some pictures to the gallery under fireman110.
Hope they work and it helps

Neil
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 278 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 01, 2011 - 04:38 AM UTC
Thanks Neil,

I finally found you by doing a user search in Photobucket under firemanneil. That took me to firemanneil's albums.

Must say you have a pretty impressive work space and stash .

Cheers, John
fireman110
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2011 - 04:39 AM UTC
Thanks John
Thats just some of the refrence stuff I have a great deal more probably around another 1000 books plus thousands of pictures.
I did post a few pictures on the site also. I f you are going to make a set and need any info drop me a line at realmenfightfiresathotmaildotcom, plus if you need any info for any projects.

Neil
Red4
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 4,287 Posts
KitMaker Network: 824 Posts
Posted: Saturday, October 08, 2011 - 02:32 AM UTC
Hi Neil,
Were the bits you bought from Lee the ones marked as Hobbyist Drill bits? I went through their list of drill bits and those seem to be the only ones that fit the description you mentioned. I have several punch sets, but wanted to give your SBS a try.
Thanks, "Q"
 _GOTOTOP