_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Fiber Glass Pen. What is it ?
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 278 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2011 - 04:18 PM UTC
Hi all.
Okay, last night I read through all 46 pages of the Tool and Supplies section looking for tips on home made tools and resources. Very interesting reading although a lot of the photos have been deleted on older threads. Didn't stop me from bookmarking a lot so I can have a go at the at a later date.
Anyway, I came across a couple of references to Glass Fiber Pens and was wondering what is a Glass Fiber Pen and what is it use?
Just curious at the moment. I obviously haven't needed one before and probably won't in the future but it would be nice to know something about it.

Cheers, John
imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 1,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2011 - 10:58 PM UTC
[quote]Hi all.
Okay, last night I read through all 46 pages of the Tool and Supplies section looking for tips on home made tools and resources. Very interesting reading although a lot of the photos have been deleted on older threads. Didn't stop me from bookmarking a lot so I can have a go at the at a later date.
Anyway, I came across a couple of references to Glass Fiber Pens and was wondering what is a Glass Fiber Pen and what is it use?
Just curious at the moment. I obviously haven't needed one before and probably won't in the future but it would be nice to know something about it.John,It is used by auto collision techs to sand around hard to reach places like around door handles,windows,locks,and moldings so that paint will stick.Heres a picture of what one looks like I don't know if the tip would be small enough to reach into the really small places on a model.You could always trim it .Be careful though as the fibers are glass and will go everywhere.Make sure not to inhale any or get them on your skin.Jeff
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 8,156 Posts
KitMaker Network: 593 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2011 - 11:37 PM UTC
Hi John. I've been thinking about getting one of these for a while now myself. I see the main use of this in point-sanding very small areas without damaging any detail around. It's just one of those things I haven't spent much time looking for but I'm sure I'll stumble across one one day soon.

Cheers, D
05Sultan
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 2,870 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,044 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 04:20 AM UTC
Glass fiber paint brushes are available for the intended purpose of applying certain paints to fabrics in an artistic manner. I have 2 or 3 sizes of these and use them for 'working' washes around on armor for weathering effects as well as lightly abrading/ scuffing the finish before the paint drys or matures. I've also used them for steppling tight 'squiggle' camo patterns on 1/32 AC. This is kind of laborious but really looks well when finished.
Seems I've always had jobs or hobbies that found me using tools for purposes that they were not designed for. When I look back on some of those episodes, I can't believe I didn't win a Darwin award.
jashby
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 278 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2011 - 04:11 PM UTC
Thanks JT, Damian and Rick. The info is appreciated.

I can see its potential now. Its one of those nice to have but don't really need it type of things. The Glass Fiber paint brush does sound intriguing though.

Cheer, John
matt
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
Visit this Community
New York, United States
entire network: 5,957 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,626 Posts
Posted: Monday, September 12, 2011 - 11:20 PM UTC
They are designed and intened as an Abrasive brush for spot sanding. the premise bieng that the fiberglass is fragile and constantly breaks creating new abrasive edges. they're supposed to be used wet.

http://www.promotorcarproducts.com/sandingpen.htm
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 11:44 AM UTC
It's used for Photo Etch. It works especially well when you're soldering but scratching the surface also gives tooth for CA.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2011 - 08:17 PM UTC
If you get one of these you should use soapy water as a carrier which catches any flecks that break off during use or even under water. DO NOT use it dry as it is a hazard to your health when not used correctly.
 _GOTOTOP