_GOTOBOTTOM
Network Talk
For discussions about network-wide site topics, announcments, etc.
New Store Need Suggestions
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2011 - 07:01 PM UTC
I plan to open a online hobby shop, soon. I already have a couple of suppliers picked out. I need feedback about what brands I should carry and features. I intend to keep the cost low(can't make over $6500 a year or they cut my disability). Should I devote the store to carrying one type of model, i.e. armor, ac, figures or try to offer all three catagories? You guys help me out and I'll help keep the cost low.
TIA
-Matt
sfctur1
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 643 Posts
KitMaker Network: 109 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 01:25 AM UTC
Matt there are a few overseas figure companies looking fo ststeside distributers. One I know is Modern Armies in Minatures, There is only a couple of places in europe to get them. Nice figures and accessories. If you need help reference incme tax wise contact my wife [email protected] She is an Enrolled Agent so she knows the ins and outs. She can do all states. Good luck on you venture. Please keep us informed if you go through with it. That way it will be suopported by all of us at the site.
Tom
ivanhoe6
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,023 Posts
KitMaker Network: 626 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 04, 2011 - 04:45 AM UTC
Hey Matt, good for you ! Tom is right there are some good things coming out of Eastern Europe that you can't find anywhere else. A niche market. Good Luck ! and keep us posted. After my LHS went out of business I've turned to the internet. I always knew that it was cheaper than at"Big Bear" but I was a loyal customer. Matt you are a regular contributer here so if your prices are fair I'll be a loyal customer too. Tom
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, September 07, 2011 - 11:46 AM UTC
Thanks for the suggestions. With the state of the Union, I could definitely use consumer support. Small businesses are having a hard time of it what with government action and inflation. This isn't the American Dream, but it is my dream. I hope you guys will help to make it a reality.
-Matt
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 14, 2011 - 05:05 PM UTC
Hooyah, Matt! Let us know once you get this dream up and running and I'd be glad to keep you in business! I agree with stocking Eastern European brands. There are a lot of great kits and AM bits coming out of the former Soviet Bloc but they're hard to come by at a good price and from a US dealer. But don't forget about the big standbys...Tamiya, Dragon, Italeri, etc. Some of their kits can be "questionable," but more often than not, you'll get a fairly cheap product that modelers of any age and skill set will be on the lookout for. Best of luck to you, and I hope to buy from you soon!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 15, 2011 - 12:37 AM UTC
My intention is to only turn a couple of thousand dollar profit each year. I should have the site up and running by Christmas.
samkidd
Visit this Community
Alaska, United States
entire network: 530 Posts
KitMaker Network: 60 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 16, 2011 - 11:27 PM UTC
Hi Matt,

Just as a suggestion I'd personally like to see someone carry a more extensive line of some of the aftermarket companies that are hard to get over here but are very popular. Plus Model and Hornet Headsets leap to mind and I'm sure that there are several more.

I believe that having better availability of some of these hard to get AM lines would serve the community well. And as a side note, I think that having an online hobby shop whose primary mission is service rather than profit is absolutely commendable. Bravo.

Jim
Large Scale Armory
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2011 - 06:48 AM UTC
Jim-I'll take that into consideration. Hopefully be up and running by the Christmas holiday. Should be able to pull a reasonable turn around for the Christmas shoppers and money receivers.
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,846 Posts
KitMaker Network: 208 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2011 - 05:58 PM UTC
Matt; let us know when you are ready to roll. I would love to have that M1070 and a BTR 60PB for christmas and would rather give my money to you than some dude in China. Cheers.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 01:43 AM UTC
From the replies, I am thinking I will go with some Eastern European manufacturers and am parts. I won't be able to compete with larger distributors of asian products. Looks like Zvezda, Skif, Alanger/ICM, Hornet, Plus Model, Armies in Miniature, Voyager, Lionmarc, Eduard, E.T. Model, Griffon, Aber, Evolution, Mantis, etc. I'm not promising all of these manufacturers. They are just off the top of my head. Start small and grow.
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 23, 2011 - 05:22 AM UTC
I can't wait to see this plan come to fruition! Look into using Paypal for the site...I (and I assume many others) tend to not buy from places unless they have Paypal to mediate. Good luck again!
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 24, 2011 - 10:39 AM UTC
I plan on accepting Paypal and credit cards only. Makes it easier for me to keep track of my transactions in case of any foul up.
ColdSteel
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 52 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 28, 2011 - 04:13 PM UTC
Hey Matt congrats on your store you may in the future consider lines like
Bravo-6 Tank and Live Resin just a thought
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2011 - 03:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I plan to open a online hobby shop, soon. I already have a couple of suppliers picked out. I need feedback about what brands I should carry and features. I intend to keep the cost low(can't make over $6500 a year or they cut my disability). Should I devote the store to carrying one type of model, i.e. armor, ac, figures or try to offer all three catagories? You guys help me out and I'll help keep the cost low.
TIA
-Matt

I would be very interested in a "subject oriented" website.

Usually, webshops carry everything from particular brands but don't make combined offers. This measn that one has to buy a kit in one shop, the paint somewhere else, the aftermarket cockpit at webshop number three... and each time pay postage.

A shop that would offer a complete package of a basic kit, with all the best goodies for that kit and in option, the needed paint, possibly some documentation, would draw my attention for sure.

melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Thursday, November 03, 2011 - 09:30 AM UTC
people such as myself will only use online sources if i cannot get it locally.
With that said, its going to be best if you go for stuff that people are going to have to order from the internet because it isnt common at the LHS such as PE, resin kits, decals, tools, etc.
to ensure that you dont lose money and are somewhat lucrative, you are going to need a reason to go through you rather than somewhere else. If you sell kits, it would be best to use kits that you cant find everywhere you go but if you do, go with the brands that are high demand. you can find dragon and itileri in practically every LHS, but they are usually very nice kits that people would buy in the drop of a hat. But, the prices need to be competitive to attract the desire of people to want to get it from you.

you may want to carry more than just armor. myself, i get on a kick and want to build different types of kits such as ships and aircraft. All types of models require a figure if done as a dio. Figures would be ideal to carry with whatever else you decide to carry especially the uncommon poses that are useful.

you obviously have a leg up on random competition that is not advertised on here. but, even with that extra help, if you dont have anything that anyone wants, your going to tank (pun intended). Sales are all about catering to the consumer and the better that you plan for that the better off you will do.

I wish you luck. i will definately keep my eyes open on the products and prices that you offer and give you my business if it cant be beat
 _GOTOTOP