_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
a trick for working with delicate parts
turrettoad13
Visit this Community
Mississippi, United States
entire network: 607 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 11:16 AM UTC
Was working on my AFV club M-88 today and i got to the step where the headlight brush guards come into play . I hate those small fragile parts . I built this kit before so i knew how fragile these parts are , they were beyond use so i had to use evergreen plastic to replace the bad parts . So today I tried this and it worked pretty good . --
The first thing i did was to cut the part off with out totaly destroying it , using my dremel tool and a cut-off wheel . I still broke one of the support arms but not too bad

The small piece of balsa wood is the trick to cutting the flash off the part , it gives the plastic a good stiff backing so will stand up to the stress of the cut from the x-acto with out breaking

One way to get the part to fit the wood is to cut the basic shape of the part into the block

Then you trim away the flash

and here are the brush guards i only broke 2 of them #:-)
I hope this helps some one , it beats trying to scratch build those tiny little light guards .
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 12:56 PM UTC
Hi. Looks like good advice. These things are a real pain in the A-- to get off the spure. I've been using here lately some cutical clippers I bought in the make-up department of the local Wal-Mart store and these work fairly well--depending on what it is I'm trying to cut off the spure. But I do believe your wood backing would work even better, esp. on these types of guards. Thanks for the photos. Any help in this area is greatly appreciated by us all.

Take care, sgirty :-)
almonkey
Visit this Community
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
entire network: 2,124 Posts
KitMaker Network: 369 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 08:23 PM UTC
thats an interesting idea,my problem is with the struts on ww1 aircraft and i usually end up cutting the whole sprue end off like you have only to damage them trimming off i,ll try the wood idea next time
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 04:41 PM UTC
Thanks for that cool tip!

~Chip :-)
Major_Goose
Visit this Community
Kikladhes, Greece / Ελλάδα
entire network: 6,871 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 30, 2003 - 10:37 PM UTC
it's a good tip buddy , and i believe that generally cutting with a piece of wood under helps preventing injuring, destroying the knife, and damaging the parts of any kind.
keep up buddy
 _GOTOTOP