_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
K5 track, what to do with it?
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 02:30 AM UTC
Hi. Just finished building the T- or L- track layout for Trumpeter's K5 model. The track bed is 5 inches wide; the round table is 10 inches across; and both track sections are 43 inches long! I plan to build an in-line track out of model R.R. pieces to put the finished model on--if it ever gets done that is--so I just build the kit's parts just to see what it would look like, and to practice some painting and weathering techniques. And also because it was just there. I'd paid for it so why not use it, right?

I'm going to have to take it out in the driveway to wash the thing off with dishwashing soap and the garden hose before priming! Looks like I'm going to have to put it on a board and then store it thing in the closet, as there is No WAY I have any space to put this thing up. Could mount it on a wall like they do those homemade quilts. Boy I can just hear the 'boss's' comments on that !!!! "Not in my house you don't!"

Gee.....back to the days when models could be built on a small work bench instead of a 4 foot square piece or plywood. Ha, ha! What have I gotten myself into????

Take care, sgirty
BroAbrams
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,546 Posts
KitMaker Network: 494 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 02:30 PM UTC
Ever see how the model railroaders show off their trains? They mount several rows of tracks on small shelves on the wall and put them on the tracks. This is how I intend to show off the Leopold when/if I ever do one. Can't use the turntable though.

Rob
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,667 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 05:01 PM UTC
Hi Guys
I must admit to having the same sort of thoughts about the track for this kit.Look as I might I cannot find any reference to track layouts like the T or cross section.Most of them are either on a turntable or use turnouts for traverse.
I'd like to find some pics of the tunnel mouth that these guns hid in so i could add one to the board etc.I too am going to have to display the kit in line as i have no space here either.
Happy Modelling
Pete
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 12:10 AM UTC
Hi Guys. Yes, I had considered your idea, Rtwpsom2, and I do have one of those nick-nack shelves I picked up at the local craft store that I stained and finished that is 46 inches long ands almost 7 inches wide that would be an ideal place to put the completed gun. And to top it all off, this shelf is in my back bedroom, so it's out of the wife's way, as I am in total charge of cleaning this room, since it has those 'models' in it. Ha, ha! This is probably where it will go, one of these days.

And your idea too, 26WC666, has a good deal of merit as well. A tunnel mouth at the end of the setting would be the perfect touch for the Leopold gun in it's Italian enviornment. Like you, I don't think I've ever seen a photo of this gun's setting during the Anzio campaign, yet. But I would have to guess that if you could find some photo of any type of R.R. tunnel entrance in Italy during this particular time period, it would serve as a basis for making one for your own. I would have to guess it would probably be made out of stone, or maybe concrete, or wooden beams (which I kind of doubt), but who can tell.

In the model R.R. items, there are companies who make these structures for tunnel openings and this should give you some idea of how to make one yourself for this scale.

I also asked the guy who ownes the local hobby shop about track for this 1/35 scale model and he said that "G" scale R.R. track is probably what a person needs. Now I was also informed that they do not sell just the rails by themselves, so a person has to buy the compete unit, rails and ties both. But it's a relatively simple matter to remove the rails from their plastic molded ties and make some new ties out of wood. And the man said they do sell the seperate rail hold-down clamps and 'spikes' as well. So that's a help. It would be nice to happen across some R.R. modeler who has some extra "G" track and would like to get rid of it at about this time. But I don't have that kind of luck. Oh well! Such are the trials and tribulations of this hobby!!!

Good luck and take care, sgirty
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 02:30 AM UTC
Howdy sgirty,

Gee, what a dilemma! But a dilemma I wouldn't mind having myself. Being the big fan of large scale projects that I am, I would love to build the K5. I'm jealous . I love the wall mounted idea, just add the tunnel entrance and you have a HECK of a conversation piece!
Unfortunately my money and large scale endeavor's are focused on the Accurate Armour Super HET tank transporter kit I recently purchased. I won't need any track for it, but in trying to come up with a diorama idea for an upcoming model contest I am thinking BIG as well!!!
Good luck with your build-up.

Tread.

BTW, I also broke down this past weekend and bought the new Faun tank transporter by Trumpeter............another BIGGIE. #:-)
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 02:37 AM UTC
Hi sgirty,
I'm planning on taking a piece of the actual track from the kit to my local model shop to see what i can match up. If i can find anything I'll let you know.
Also what intrigues me is how DML and Trumpeter have come up with different gauges for the track. I have no idea how to do it but there must be a way of converting the distance between rails(4'8 1/2" or standard gauge,that is assuming the railroads in Italy are standard gauge) into a measurement for 1:35 scale.
The other question that needs an answer is were these tunnels existing railroad tunnels or were they just cut into the hill with track laid just for the guns?
happy modelling
Pete
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 06:56 AM UTC
Hi 26WC666,

After scanning through "Fatal Decision" by Carlo D'Este I can find no place where anything is mentioned as to these tunnels for the two K5s either being purposely dug out for these guns, or the Germans simply using existing tunnels of the Italian R.R. serivce. My uneducated guess would be that they they used existing tunnels, although I wouldn't put it pass the Germans to build special tunnels for them. Didn't see anywhere in the book as to if they Germans used the cross-track sections either. I would guess they did, else their field of fire would be pretty narrow.

I'd have to say that if they used existing tunnels the enterances were either of brick, stone or concrete design, probably being kind of fancy in their fit and finish. Have to guess that if they were purpose-build, they were probably shorn up by just timbers, or simple concrete forms. A person could pretty much do it anyway they wanted to I'd guess. Like this idea.

First time I've heard that they guage of the tracks between the two model companies were different. That is odd. But as I'm planning-at this point-to use wooden ties the 'guage' I don't think is going to be any problem as I'll simply place the track to fit the wheel width on the trucks. I think anyway.

I found an older Dragon R.R. car kit that I had build here several years ago the other night and it fits pretty much okay on Trumpeter's tracks. Not perfect, but not bad either, as I can push it along slowly and it does go down the tracks without coming off. Think I am going to get some metal R.R. track for this car and do some experiementing on seeing just how hard building and hand-laying track is going to be. Can't be as easy as it seems, nothing ever is.

Take care, sgirty
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 07:38 AM UTC
Hi sgirty
If you have a look at the PMMS review of both kits they state that the DML track is 41mm wide and the Trumpeter track is 44.5mm wide,I'd dearly love to know how they arrived at their respective figures.
I've been looking thru various websites for info on these guns and none mention the cross tracks layout,most are on turntables that are carried around with the guns or on layouts with spurs off at various angles to give the traverse.
Have fun
Pete
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 10:50 AM UTC
Track gauge...
56.5 inches x 25.4 mm/inch =full sizein mm.
full size mm divided by 35 = scale distance = 41mm.Dml is right on.
I wonder if anyone subtracted the track parts that cant be used from the Trumpeteer kit ,would it be a tiny bit closer to DML's part count??????
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 679 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 12:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'd like to find some pics of the tunnel mouth that these guns hid in so i could add one to the board etc.I too am going to have to display the kit in line as i have no space here either.

heres a few for you

the above are all from Calais.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 12:25 PM UTC
...Interesting, not a tunnel at all. A bunker instead, makes sense.
This bunker wouldn't be that hard to scratch guys. All you need is one of those 'pod' thingies from the "Invasion of the Body Snatcher's" film and you're home free!
Just kidding. Really doesn't look that hard to scratch, and I think sgirty's got a handle on it with getting the track from a RR shop and adding the lumber from the plethora of balsa scale lumber bags that these places carry.
Sound's very neat. Would love to see pics when you guys start gettting your 'feet wet' on this undertaking.

Tread.
salt6
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 796 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 12:45 PM UTC
Real track comes in different sizes (weight) so check the O scale and look for 120#. I think that is the heaviest used.

Oh yeah, don't forget wood or concrete ties.
Kancali
Vendor
KANCALI
Visit this Community
entire network: 152 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 01:03 PM UTC
Ive been considering a dio with a rail line running thru it but have been
holding off because i wasnt sure what gauge was used in europe during
the WWII time period.. 4'8.5" is standard gauge for US rail but europe had
alot of narrow gauge and i dont believe they had the standard US gauge
at that time..obviously the point is moot because you will need the rail to fit
the model irregardless,, but perhaps the gauge difference relates to the
difference in wheel base on the different models.. If anyone has any info
on a european standard guage for that time period it would be much
appreciated ... Thanks
boosahmer
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 651 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 01:12 PM UTC
I have read the Russians had a gauge that was different from German/European. I don't recall what the specific numbers were, but also that was the difference between Dragon and Trumpeter tracks for the K5. I also saw a pic of the roundhouse track in use with that big baby. I believe it was on the Missing Lynx site (oops) :-) . I got my trumpeter the other day and can't wait to start. I have a million dio ideas! Good luck with yours, everyone
Mar-74
Visit this Community
Western Australia, Australia
entire network: 679 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Saturday, September 27, 2003 - 11:29 PM UTC
ive just read a review in military modelling and this answers your questions about rail track gauge here it is

Quoted Text

Trumpeters model scales out to a reperesentation of the Russian track gauge of five feet (43.5 mm in 1/35 scale) whereas Dragons model is a correct representation of the standard track gauge used around the rest of the world (including China) of four feet eight and a half inches (41 mm in 1/35 scale). This means that unfortunately they cant run on each other track, despite a difference of only 2.5mm!
I might aswell add that there are (were?) around six 'standard' railway gauges around the world, ranging from two-foot six (762mm) to five-foot six (1676mm) and some countries have more than one gaugeon their railway systems.

The review also later states that

Quoted Text

two K5 (E) guns were reported to be deployed in Russia outside Lenningrad with Eisenbahn Artillerie Regiment zbV679

I haven't had chance to research the latter yet but will be attempting this later. Hope this helps.
sgtreef
Visit this Community
Oklahoma, United States
entire network: 6,043 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,603 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:16 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

heres a few for you

the above are all from Calais.

Is that Snow or sand do I need glasses? Does it snow in France if it is?
Stormbringer
Visit this Community
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:46 AM UTC
Hi Guys
Thanks for your replies,they are most helpful.
TankCarl. I think you'll find that the extra parts in the Trumpeter kit are all to do with the running gear on the railroad trucks and as such will be invisible most of the time.I also think that you can actually extend the Trumpeter track bed to use up most of the parts included,very useful if you wish to add a loco and wagons to the dio(large bank balance necessary).
I am giving thought to just using the track and sleepers/ties and pinning them to a board using model railroad ballast around them,it all depends on what i find in the model shop.
Kancali.I think you will find that "standard gauge" track is universal worldwide as both Britain and the USA sent loco's and rollingstock into Europe and North Africa after the invasion,although Switzerland has a lot of meter gauge track and Portugal uses 5' gauge(both irrelevant in WWII dios).
Sgtreef.I think it's sand/gravel .
Thanks Guys
Pete
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:58 AM UTC
Hi. Thanks guys for those wonderful photos of the K5 in France. Just goes to prove the old saying: 'One picture is worth (at least) 1,000 words.' Sure glad the Germans were so interested in photo taking.

I see where FSM magazine is going to be running a product review on both the Dragon and Trumpeter model K5s in the near future, so that will be real interesting to read. Can't wait till MMiR also prints an article on one or both of these kits. A 'comparison' article would be outstanding.

There are times I find myself still looking at the box just to be sure this is still 1/35 scale, you know? I CAN NOT believe this thing, really! It's kind of scary to try to consider what these kit makers are going to do next to top this. Kind of anxious to see if this new 1/25 scale Panther that Academy is talking about is really as nice and detailed a kit as the 1/35 scale ones from Dragon. Good Lord, if this keeps up I'm going to have to come out of retirement and go back to work to support this habit! Ha!

Take care, sgirty #:-)
Kancali
Vendor
KANCALI
Visit this Community
entire network: 152 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 04:32 AM UTC
Thanks for the info guys.. I'll pursue the standard US gauge for my rail..
If any superceding info comes along I can always send in some partisans
to blow it up.

_GOTOTOP