_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Health and Safety
Have a question about what is safe or an experience that might warn others?
Abusing Chemicals
Envar
Visit this Community
Uusimaa, Finland
entire network: 1,088 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 05:26 AM UTC
Sometimes mishaps take place, even in very controlled and professional-like modeling. CA in all the wrong places, took a sip from cleaning cup, etc.
What´s your funniest/dummiest/most dangerous mishap?

Myself, I´ve got several stab wounds in my feet because every time I drop something, I have this inner must to try to block it with my foot. What I drop most often is my X-Acto knife.

Toni
Sabot
entire network: 12,596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,557 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 05:29 AM UTC
My first reaction to dropping the X-acto knife is to opens the knees apart and push away. It also helps when trying to "see" the bounce if it is a small part.
puyallup7400
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 93 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 07:33 AM UTC
Hmmmmm…..

Cutting wood dowel sections with a Dremel tool and the steel saw blade. Doing the last cut and thinking it’s getting awfully short and I should hold it with pliers or something. Right then the blade bucked and cut across the three middle finger nail beds, I reacted by dropping the Dremel (good idea at the time), it runs across the top of my thigh and finally kills it’s self by getting stuck in the carpet. Thankfully I was wearing jeans, which minimized leg damage. Not too much blood. Too embarrassed to go to the clinic and put up with the lectures on stupidity. Several band aids and a couple of months made it all better. Of all places I was stationed at Ft. Sam Houston at the time. Why go in, when you can fix it a home?

Dave
GeneralFailure
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 532 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 08:02 AM UTC
There's a few painful memories in the "health and safety" forum under "rose garden" too...
KMM
Visit this Community
entire network: 91 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 11:29 AM UTC
I'm good at forgetting about the sticks-to-just-about-anything properties of super-glue.

"Great, I finally got those two parts stuck together.....now if I can just pull my finger free....."
sourkraut
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 602 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 11:59 AM UTC
if i had a dime for every time i glued my fingers togather i would be a rich man
YodaMan
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 1,561 Posts
KitMaker Network: 485 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 10:30 PM UTC
Well, one mishap that could'a been pretty bad was when.... I was was using a Dremel tool to grind a ridge out of a piece of a Saturn V model (so the RealSpace models resin conversion to a Block II Apollo would fit) and of course, I wasn't wearing safety goggles. During the grinding I noticed that the wheel was turning toward me, so any chincks of hot plastic would fly at me; and that's exactly what happened! A relatively big ol chunck of hot plastic hit me right in the eye! It was stuck there too, right behind the eyelid. Took me about 10 minutes at the mirror to get it out. I now wear safety goggles when using the Dremel.

This message was brought to you by.......

YodaMan
ARENGCA
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 382 Posts
KitMaker Network: 101 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 11:05 PM UTC
I actually haven't been cut by the falling X-acto for many years. Seem to have a sense of when to catch it, and when to not try. Catch it about 60% of the time. Same deal with my feet, seem to know when to move them and when to use them to slow the fall.

Not so funny story...in my dorm room in college, working late into the night, I left the lid off the mason jar of thinner I was using. I was too lazy to get up and close it, went to sleep. I woke up several hours later with an tremendous headache, and really incredibly nauseous. The whole room reeked of thinner. I got the windows open, the lid on, and spent the rest of the night wondering if the last functioning brain cells I apparently had were dying, too. I survived, but now I am really careful of solvents and volatiles in small rooms! Just remembering gives me a headache...
GunTruck
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 5,885 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,405 Posts
Posted: Sunday, May 19, 2002 - 11:11 PM UTC
I like to keep something to drink close at hand when I model. I've had a couple of mishaps during modeling sessions - forcing me to change practices to adapt!

I've grabbed and sipped a glass of decal water - with the glue and paper scraps in it - instead of the glass of water nearby. I bought a .49 cent plastic tray that I dip decals into now.

I've grabbed and sipped a shot glass of Lacquer Thinner that I was using to clean paintbrushes in - instead of another nearby glass of water. Now I leave the Lacquer Thinner out of reach until I need it - and I use bottled water...

Gunnie
penpen
Visit this Community
Hauts-de-Seine, France
entire network: 1,757 Posts
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2002 - 01:25 AM UTC
Once, there was that small piece of plastic to trim. So I pused it hard against my thumb and then used the Xacto. The blade had difficulties cutting, but then slid and sliced directly into my thumb...
Otherwise, the typical fingers stuck together...
 _GOTOTOP