_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Leftover kit piece's/part's storage
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,000 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,210 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 02:21 AM UTC
Howdy All,

Had a question for the group. Actually to be honest I'm really looking for some suggestions on how YOU guys and gals store your unused, extra, replaced (with AM), leftover kit parts? I've generally been leaving the unused portions in the original boxes, thereby creating an easy identification (for me) of which kits the parts went to, but that is quickly becoming an unusable option (since I am opening more and more of my 'stored' kits).
I'm sure the more 'A' type out there have some kind of superb 'file drawer' system or something, while the, shall we say, less 'A' type probably have a simpler method.

Hoping for some viable options here so that I can steal your ideas!

Thx in advance.

Tread.
scoccia
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 2,606 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 02:32 AM UTC
I just have a messy approach: I throw them in an empty box and when it's full I get another one and so on...
Ciao
Halfyank
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 5,221 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,983 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 03:13 AM UTC
I'm with Fabio. I picked up some cheap shoe box sized totes at Wally World for .78 cents. Each time I start a new kit I put the parts in the tote, cut out the box art, and toss the box. I keep the spare parts in the tote until finished with the kit then throw them all in larger tote for my spares box. Since I haven't finished all THAT many kits yet the spares box is kind of sad so far.
Tony_Frey
Visit this Community
Missouri, United States
entire network: 272 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 03:14 AM UTC
I have a plastic 3 drawer tool box, with each drawer subdivided, that helps me keep similar parts fairly well organized.
1stsgt
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 173 Posts
KitMaker Network: 114 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 03:26 AM UTC
What do you mean "spare parts" did i miss something
slodder
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 11,718 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,584 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 03:37 AM UTC
I guess I'm in the "A" group (as I get older)
I used to just toss all the old sprues together in a pile. Then recently I got a grid box (tackle box) and have gone through all my old sprues and organized the stuff by nationality and type. So now I have all my German Personal gear in one area, US body parts in another, etc....
It supports my diorama habit a little bit better, If a need for extra personal gear to have laying about is needed I can put my fingers on it quicker. Or if I need to reposition a figures arm, I can narrow it down and find a US left arm quickly.
animal
Visit this Community
entire network: 4,503 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,163 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 03:49 AM UTC
I store like items in a grid box. The larger parts are(truck body parts) are placed in large baggies and labeled. I bought a few of the nuts and bolts bins with drawers from our local Wal-Mart and use them for small parts. I purchased some of the larger crafts boxes with the divided sections from a local bead shop and use these for the resin casted pieces. I used to use the old model boxes but the spare parts boxes outnumbered the new kits. I do a lot of kit bashing so I end up with a junkyard for spare parts. If any one needs some of the M-92xx series parts or some of the M-34 series parts I might be able to help you out.
mj
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 1,331 Posts
KitMaker Network: 334 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 05:15 AM UTC
I am with Scott. The fishing section of Walmart has tons of small plastic "grid-divided" boxes of varying sizes. I started out with one labled Axis and one Allies, but have moved on, I'm afraid. Now, it's by catagory (aircraft, armor, etc.) and nationality. If only I didn't have so many kits...(yah, right!)

Mike

capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 05:25 AM UTC
I just use an old cardboard box and through the stuff in there. I use the grid type of box when I am working on something that has numerous parts that need to be finished before all is attached. I also use them for figure work.
capnjock
MrRoo
Visit this Community
Queensland, Australia
entire network: 3,856 Posts
KitMaker Network: 719 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 08:25 AM UTC
when I have finished a kit I cut the sprue around the parts leaving if I can the original kit # with it. I then place then in a zip top plastic bag which is labled with the kit type and #. These are then placed in an old model box which is labled "softskin", " Armor", "misalanious" etc.
sgirty
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,315 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 08:49 AM UTC
Hi. I just use an old model box or two to put the spares in. Only problem is wondering just what's in there and having to go through it occasionally just to re-remember what I've put in there down through time. I ususally leave the smaller pieces on their sprues so they won't get lost down in the bottom of the box.

To tell the truth, I've used very little of anything inside it since I've been collecting this stuff. Occasionally I will find tools, little boxes, grab handles, etc. that I can use, but most of it just sits there being mixed up occasionally by my sorting through it.

All of this stuff would make so real nice details if I ever get into building dioramas that would require lots of the misc. of war scattered around. But will I throw it all away? I don't think so. Too much of a pack rat to do that sort of thing. Besides, whatever I would happen to throw away I will have a use for one week later. This is how it always works it seems.

Take care, sgirty
yagdpanzer
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 415 Posts
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 09:39 AM UTC
Like a lot of others, I use the old model box system. Un-used parts are left on the sprue, where possiable, placed in a ziplok bag, the bag labled and put in the appropriate box. I.E. German, U.S., British, etc. Then I add a label to the box top to show what's inside.

How much of it do I use, very little, but I am a major pack rat. But, when you need a part, you REALLY need a part! Also, sometimes you can trade them or give them to a friend who needs one.
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Friday, September 26, 2003 - 11:53 AM UTC
Wow guys!!

Just got home from work and read thru the posts...many thx go out to you all for responding in a sizable number to my query. It is definitely appreciated!

Having read thru them it seems the general consensus seems to be either the old 'tried and true' method of tossing it in the model box in one form or another, or the grid/tackle box for supposedly easier access. Sounds about right.
So, based on the answer's so far I'd like to throw in some more food for thought.
A couple of you said you catagorized your parts by Allied/Axis parts. mj and yagdpanzer feel that the 'aircraft, armour, etc'/ German, U.S. British, etc thing works. And finally both animal and slodder narrow it down a little further. Justifiably, sgirty brought up the point about exactly how much of these parts are used? All great points!
NOW.....if I can combine all of these fine suggestions into a cohesive 'A'/'B' type application, my bi-polar personality will adopt it with gusto!! #:-)
My immediate impression is some form of subdivision of parts(and I'm rambling here). The one important factor to add to the stew is; accuracy. I mean, we all spend decent sums of money and time to increase the 'accuracy' factor right? None of us wants to put soviet tow hooks on our British vehicles now do we!?! Nor, do we want to take the time( ) to clean up the wrong set of road wheels for our proposed diorama. I don't know about all of you, but I need a little help with making sure I identify the parts correctly. Mr. Roo's use of labeling the plastic bags sounds great, just worried about the possible breakage factor....

Please, more input would surely shed some more light on the issue than has already been shed by our illustrious members so far.......we can only learn by sharing.

Tread.

Pnzr-Cmdr
Visit this Community
Pennsylvania, United States
entire network: 483 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 11:27 AM UTC
like some of you i use tackle boxes and those separted boxes with adjustable slats and whatnot
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 12:38 PM UTC
I use those Wally world boxes for ModelMaster enamels.I take the top off and they fit in.
As for parts,I just use 2 boxes.1 for German stuff,one for American /Other.
WeWillHold
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 2,314 Posts
KitMaker Network: 185 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 01:13 PM UTC
Tread---neat thread!

I take all my spare parts, remove them from the sprues), and group them into those clear closed type sandwich bags i.e. anything related to AFV suspension goes in one bag, spare gun tubes, 50's etc in another, figs and equipment in another, and so on. Those bags are then kept in a single large model box.

It really helps keep things somewhat organized ---- and when you're looking for something in particular, you can "see through" the bag at the contents to see if you've got what you need.

Works for me anyway.

Steve
TreadHead
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 03:05 PM UTC
Thx again guys for the additional input. I kinda lean towards wewillhold's style (at least in my head). But what I'm trying to do is 'kick it up a notch' in the organization dept. (I'll choose to blame Gunnie on this one ).
Here's what I'm thinking. I went to Target the other day to pick up a few more of those 6 qt. clear plastic containers made by Sterilite. They're about the size of a shoebox. If you guys aren't using them, you're missing out. They're just the right size for most 1/35th scale model kits. I put each kit I'm building into one of these for quick and easy storage. I do put a piece of masking tape on the outside edge and just write the name of each kit on it, but you can also see inside. This type of storage is simple, and has the added benefit of keeping the model safe and dust-free!
Taking this a wee step further, I have also begun buying these small 3 and 4 drawer plastic mini file drawer's. They're about 8"-12" tall, and 8" wide. Excellent little jobbies, plus they're pretty inexpensive ($3-$4). I have started placing like catagorized items from my boxes into the drawer's and labeling each drawer as I go. So far, it's been working out VERY slick!
( Gunnie would be proud!)
Anyway, let me know what you all think....too 'A' type, or too much sense?

Thx

Tread out.
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 28, 2003 - 03:10 PM UTC
I throw the unused ones in the original box, and then make a mental not that they are there. When I need something, I just go to that kit. And there it is....usually. Gremlins sometimes take it.

~Chip
 _GOTOTOP