_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Old School vs. New School
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 1,352 Posts
KitMaker Network: 571 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 04:08 AM UTC
I got a good question I believe for us older ones here that grew up with the cubic inches on an engine but now they got this metric stuff like a 4.9 L instead of the 302 cubic inches like we are used to.

Well my question is does anyone here know how to tell me how to change the Liter over to cubic inches like I and a lot of other older ones here that used to work on cars because if they don't have it written down about the change over somewhere then I have no idea how to tell what size cu.in. the engine is in the model because most of them now just have like the 4.9L for the engine size and that is it so I have no idea if it is a small block or a big block.

I would really appreciate it if some one could let me know how to do the change over. Thank You for your time Kerry Bennett
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 04:20 AM UTC
http://www.onlineconversion.com/volume.htm

This website will allow you to convert almost any unit of measure into another. This link above is for the volume section, but they have other sections for all types of measurements. Area, speed, energy, acceleration, etc.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2011 - 05:13 AM UTC
1 in³ = 16.3870 cm³. I've been riding bikes for years, so this has always been of interest to me. In the 80s, Honda sold the V45 and V65, (cubic inch) both of which I owned, and were rated at 750 and 1100.

If you do the math using the above formula, they're close. Blame that on Honda, not the formula.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 03:34 AM UTC
I thank you guys for your replys and on that Honda being off I remember that Kawasaki is off also they used to always round it off to the cloest even numbers like instead of a 746 CC or something like this they go to 750 CC.

See I used to be a Kawasaki man ever sense they came out with them 3 cylinder engines because they were the fastest things on the street at that time because I started out with a 350 and I cleaned up on the quarter mile against 500 triumps then a friend of mine got himself the 750 when it came out so then I had to get one to just to keep up with him and at more horse power then the biggest Harley they had with just part of the weight.

The only thing wrong with them Kawasaki's were that eveybody made fun of the 2 cycle noise the engine made plus they kept making fun saying they were only good for keeping the mosquitos away at a bar-b-que because of the two cycle oil they burned but at that time the insurance companies started to not insure them because they were called lightening on a feather.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Thursday, August 18, 2011 - 04:35 AM UTC
I feel your pain. When the V65 came out the Saber version was the fastest production motorcycle in the world. The Magna version couldn't have been too much slower - the real differences were in the geometry. At any rate, it was vERY difficult to get it insured.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 12:25 AM UTC
Now I know from a long time ago I went to one of the Nationals down close to Columbus Ohio and they had this guy on one bike that turned the quarter mile in 8 seconds and they said he drove this bike to work everyday. Now 3 seconds don't sound like much but it sure is a giant difference in speed in the quarter of a mile run.

I remember when I bought my 1300 touring this guy at the bike shop said he could take my 750 and turn it into twice the horse power from the technoligy from snow mobiles but I told him I was already afraid of the 80 some horse it was putting out already so what would I do with a 160 some horse power, see he gave me the advise that every time the front wheel came off the ground to grab another gear to break the back tire lose so the front end would come back down.

Well to look at this guy he only had one leg and almost one arm all from bike wrecks so it didn't seem sound to listen to him on how to keep the front wheel from flipping over on top of you. So how about that V65 did it have any trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 10:28 PM UTC
You know until you mentioned it I forgot all about when I first moved out to Colorado and I was trying to get my bike license and sense I didn't have a cirtificate from a safety inspector they told me I wasn't allowed to use my 750 so this friend of mine had this other friend that just bought one of them BMW racing bikes that they told him it was the fastest bike in the world, Well maybe it might of been the fastest production bike for that year but they didn't include the older 1972 750 Kawasaki in on their estimations.

See this BMW was I think a thousand CC in the early 80's I believe and he at first was afraid to let me use his bike because he said it was so fast so on our way over to the testing place we decided to run against each other and after I opened up my throttle I left him so far behind he then wanted to ride my bike to see what it felt like to go so fast so quick.

See we didn't take off from a dead stop we took off at close to 30 or 40 mph and at that speed on the 750 Kawasaki as soon as you open the throttle the front wheel comes right off the ground, see the ones I let ride my bike they had no idea how a two cycle worked so they were trying to run it like a 4 cycle but on a 2 cycle they had the red line at 6,000 rpms but that is when it got its power was after 6 grand because as soon as the tach would hit 6 thousand then you better hang on because the tach would go so fast that it would bring the front wheel off the ground just from the engine winding up to 12 grand from 6 grand so fast.

Then again at this time even the nitro burning cars couldn't even break the 6 second barrior but as you see it is well past there now.
pigsty
Visit this Community
United Kingdom
entire network: 1,226 Posts
KitMaker Network: 116 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 10:33 PM UTC
If you have an engine size in metric and you want to know what it was in old money, it's 61 cubic inches to the litre.

(Yes, litre.)
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, August 20, 2011 - 09:48 AM UTC

Quoted Text

So how about that V65 did it have any trouble keeping the front wheel on the ground.

I think these three photos taken in Berlin in 1984 will show that I had absolutely no problem keeping the front wheel on the ground. As long as the bike was parked...

Paint was by me, by the way.
straightedge
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 03:02 AM UTC
I can only remember some of the things Kawasaki done back in 1972 for their 750 cc three cylinder engine they brought a new bike to the quarter mile track still in it's shipping crate then took it out of the crate then put it together then put several miles on it before they set a new worlds record and they hired this guy that only weighed a little over a hundred pounds to ride it of course he was a professional rider.

Now when he took off he was streatched out with most of his body over the front handle bars to try to hold the front end down but it done no good because it would still stand straight up.

Now after all them years I just now sold it to a neighbor that told me he wanted it to ride to work so I practically gave it to him for $500.00 then he turned right around and sold it for $3, grand, so now he told me he wanted to buy my 1300 Kawasaki touring bike but I told him not as cheap as I gave him my 750 for but the 1300 has been wrecked but the engine still runs and the frame is straight but the fiberglass lugage compartments got torn up a bit with the flairing in the wreck.

Oh Sean Langley on that spelling of Litre is that for the both of us or is that just the way you spell it over on your side of the pond or do we over here spell it the same way because I know some words even though we both speak English a few of the words are spelled different oh I just looked it up and Canada spells it your way but our way is Liter according to my dictionary.
 _GOTOTOP