Trouble with decals?
Printing on decal sheet
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 04:19 PM UTC
I have just obtained some Decal Carpena white decal sheet with the intention of laser printing new decals for the Chieftain.
My model shop says they are safe for the laser but the instructions only deal with applying the decals. I checked Carpenas site but they have no tech specs and I emailed them but no reply.
I dont want to kill my trusty HP laser so can anyone help?
Also as the surface is high gloss will the laser ink actually fuse to it?

Regards Dave
TwistedFate
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 805 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 24, 2003 - 04:56 PM UTC
I'm not familiar with Decal Carpena, but there are 2 kinds of decal paper. One is for laser printers and one is for inkjets. Laser printers can use both but inkjets can only use the inkjet paper as it has a special coating to keep the ink from beading up. The high gloss concerns me, I think it should be more of a semi gloss but I have only seen Inkjet paper so Laser paper may be a little different.

The paper itself shouldn't mess up your printer, so you are safe giving it a whirl. HTH
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 12:02 AM UTC
Be sure to seal your decal, either with Microscale Decal Film/Decal saver or a spray of clear laquer, just in case the inks might be affected by the water.
Delta42
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 616 Posts
KitMaker Network: 100 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 03:10 AM UTC
Also a good trick to use on both Laser and InkJet printers, iss to use the "Overhead Transparency" setting on the type of paper to be printed. For some reason, since almost all transparencies are plastic and glossy, the printer knows how to compensate. I have found that by using this trick that the decal fixative is not really needed. However, I still do it just in case. Good luck.

Dave
KiwiDave
Visit this Community
Wellington, New Zealand
entire network: 248 Posts
Posted: Thursday, September 25, 2003 - 11:05 AM UTC
Thanks guys - I will indeed give it a whirl.
In the days when desktop publishing was still new - around '89 - I first got involved commercially with Macintosh computers. I used to produce quite a lot of OHP presentation material in those days. Once put a customers own blank OHP transparency through our photocopier and got a spectacular melt down through the fuser section! Since then I have been a bit wary of what I feed into printer/copiers!
Regards Dave
 _GOTOTOP