_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Selling started and parts kits??
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 68 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 - 02:13 PM UTC
Hey Gang,

With the new school semester fast approaching and the failure of student aid programs, I have found myself trying to scramble to afford the texts needed. Had an idea about putting together all the started kits/almost built up but lost interest kits/ kits messed up on and put into spares category. all these kits are still in their boxes, and thought about selling them as a bulk package to a modeler who likes to salvage kits, could use the parts for what if or scratch building etc. So my question to my fellow modelers is, is there a market for something like this or would I be wasting my time?
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 - 05:11 PM UTC
could be for i know i'm always checking out lots for parts, extras etc. guess it just depends on what ya have.

reb
panzerbob01
Visit this Community
Louisiana, United States
entire network: 3,128 Posts
KitMaker Network: 169 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 06:16 AM UTC
In short; I think the answer is YES - I see partially-built and started kits going out doors on eBay all the time. As Reb has said, "it depends on what you have".

Couple suggestions:

Break your collection down into bundles: If you have any "obvious" pairings or bundles - multiple kits of similar subjects, like "2 Panzer IV", or "3 hummer types" - you may get better bites and sell for more if you sell these as bundles. (I could see where a bundle of very different things would generally have less attraction - a buyer might want only 1 type of stuff so would pay less for the unwanted bits).

Avoid selling a large pile "en-masse": Your need is for some bucks and a large pile becomes a "fire sale" and will dilute the return "for sure".

Consider selling some salient parts pulled off otherwise part-kits: IF your kits include some salient bits - such as a partially-built Dragon kit with un-touched MagicTracks - the salient parts could well be worth more.

POST a list in the Buy and Sell forum this site and see whether folks express interest! It's free (I think) and so painless for you as a learning gambit. List what you have with a note on what shape the kit(s) are in. Folks will see things they might not be able to live without. I know I'm always looking for bits and stuff I can work with... Maybe you have a Dragon Panzer IV short-gun turret in your pile (I could do with one to fit a hull I have!)...

Good Luck!

Bob
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 07:59 AM UTC
I am sometimes given parts kits. Right now, I am working on an Esci M60A1 that is missing a full sprue and some road wheels. I keep an eye out for other parts kits and post what I am looking for under the "Buy, Sell, Trade" forum. Also, people have full kits but want parts from another. A mine roller that comes with one kit from a company for another kit that is better quality, for instance.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 10:44 AM UTC
I've purchased started kits before for certain parts that I wanted and occasionally for the actual kit too.....I'd say list them individually and let the masses say bundle this or that for me, but that's me.
As has been said I'd list rhem here too to cut back on evilbay and paybuddy fees...but once again that's your call.

So, I'll just ask- what ya got for sale?
Grizzly
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 347 Posts
KitMaker Network: 68 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 04:06 AM UTC
Thanks for the info guys. am working on going through the stuff I have, will have a list soon. Will post the list here, I don't like evilbay either..
 _GOTOTOP