History Club
Military history and past events only. Rants or inflamitory comments will be removed.
Hosted by Frank Amato
Living Marine latest MOH - Afghanistan
GSPatton
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 1,411 Posts
KitMaker Network: 785 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 01:15 PM UTC
The White House plans to award the Medal of Honor to another living recipient. This time the highest award for valor will go to Marine Cpl. Dakota Meyer for his heroic actions in Afghanistan on Sept. 8, 2009. He's credited with running into the "kill zone" to recover the bodies of 4 fallen comrades under intense fire.

"I feel the furthest thing from a hero," Meyer said in an interview with the Marine Corps Times. "I went in there to do a job and the way I viewed it is that I let those guys down."

Meyer's story is one of extreme heroism and bravery, but unlike the stories behind the only other two living medal of honor recipients from the Iraq and Afghanistan wars, his does not have as much of a happy ending. Meyer and his fellow service members were able to recover the bodies of their comrades, but they were unable to save their lives.

"[T]he award would be for them and for the corps ... and for marines that didn't get recognized because there wasn't enough witnesses," Meyer added. That's what it would be for."

Semper Fi - Cpl. Meyer