_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
New drill and grinder
Teaker11
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 962 Posts
KitMaker Network: 154 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 05:58 AM UTC
My new drill came in today, a denist drill , the other day I was getting a root canal done and after watching the denist I thought this would make a great drill, shaper. So off to ebay I go, got the master station for $78.00, including shipping , a turbine head .01 cents and 5 burs to start for .01 cents

So now I can add water to the plastic bottle and keep a fine mist to keep dust down, have a seperate nozzle for air and water all for less than $ 100.00
the only draw back is the handle only holds 1/16 diameter tools. the foot peddel variable speed 0 to 400.000 rpm. Hopefully the burs come in today, I cant wait to try this set up out
Jim
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 11:41 AM UTC
I'll be interested to hear how it works. I had the same idea around root canal #15(I only have three original teeth left). Always thought it would be too expensive. I went the way of the mill, lathe and plastic nibbler.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 19, 2011 - 12:02 PM UTC
I only build with resin, so dust is a problem, and there are hundreds of different bits. I have 100 diamond coming in thursday. No more hot dremil drill and the right angle will be perfict for the tight places. We shall see
Jim
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 11:35 PM UTC
Should be perfect for resin. I had a mouth full of temporary resin caps, before they did the porcelain crowns.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2011 - 02:56 PM UTC
Never thought cavities could yield anything useful to modeling...who knew?{only 2 cavities...so far!}
Can I make a suggestion Jim....great idea for resin sculpting but you might want to take an old baking tray and put a drain tube in the corner of it as a work top table...you could use 2 part epoxy or JB weld or braze it in so you can catch the water. Lead the drain tube{silicon tubing} down to a glass jar or bucket...just a thought.
PropDuster
Visit this Community
entire network: 18 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 - 10:06 AM UTC
but THAT sound ----shiv ver

Seriously
looks like a great idea for lots of various modeling styles.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2011 - 01:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

but THAT sound ----shiv ver

Seriously
looks like a great idea for lots of various modeling styles.

...yeah, I've never been able to equate anything happy with "that" sound...Jim's problem will be when the dentist fires his up in the office Jim will be all happy thinking of the last time he used his drill and things went well - then the bit will hit and that will probably end all the happy thoughts that moment!
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2011 - 09:30 AM UTC
Well happly I will say that it works real well, I work over a old towel with the water. I bought an assorantment of 100 burs, and with the small tool it is easy to use, with out heat. if you have an compressor and the money, less than $100 it is well worthit. No I havent tried it on plastic, but with the water you should keep the bit from melting the plastic..
Jim
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 02:33 AM UTC
Tempting... I'll have to see how my plastic nibbler works and try some resin on my mill. If all goes well, I'll probably still buy one.
Teaker11
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2011 - 05:44 AM UTC
I have a 7X11 Lathe and a mini mill, I have my eye on a mini CNC, but it is expensive. What is a plastic nibbler, can you take a pitcher, or a part number? You will like the denist drill, just EBay and you will find it under denest turbine, and the guy selling is takeing make an offer, also it didnot match the discription and I got a 20 dollar refund, all it was was another mist control on the back.
jim
 _GOTOTOP