_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Modeling Evolution
Torgut
Visit this Community
Portugal
entire network: 35 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 10:47 AM UTC
Hi...

I was thinking: unlike almost everything else, modeling don't shows great improvement as time passes. I mean, models production. I noticed that my Sturmtiger kit was produced on 1989. Hell! That was when I started to like this hobby, and after that I stoped for almost half of my life, beeing back recently.

Wouldn't it be fair if we, modelers, expect some improvements at the industry levels? Example: the end of seams.

Then, there is another problem: when I tried to apply some of the decals of my Sturmtiger, they were destroyed in my hands. No surprise. What effects can 14 years have on a chemical prepared sheet of decals? A lot, so it seems.
Plasticbattle
Visit this Community
Donegal, Ireland
entire network: 9,763 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,351 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 11:50 AM UTC
I dont think I can agree with you completely there. I have been modelling for 2.5 years and have noticed a lot of changes and improvements... as far as as accessories, availability, techniques, aftermarket and improvements are concerned. The thing is, the price is also increasing, so that releases of older kits are being bought by those looking for the cheaper kit, or simply when there has been nothing better in the last 15 years. The sad thing is that no improvements have been made when a kit is re-re-re-re-released. Maybe thats why newer companies seem to be popping up and rivalling the bigger companies quite quickly ... ie: Trumpeter and tristar. Maybe competition will improve things in the long run.
As far as 14 year old decals goes .... if you had the kit that long, theres always that chance but if you only bought it recently its more than likely a reissue which is inexcusable. Maybe contacting the company and looking for a new part and complaining is possible.
capnjock
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 860 Posts
KitMaker Network: 340 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 23, 2003 - 04:23 PM UTC
I started modelling in the 50's. Since then there has been great, great strides in modelling. The one area to me that was a bit slow was decals. The progress in the last ten years in that area has brought that up to speed with the rest of the kit. Yes, I have many of the older kits on my shelf. However, I tend to build the newer kits as the detail and manufacturing is on such a higher plane(usually). I have been well and truly spoiled by what is available today.
capnjock
 _GOTOTOP