Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
Too Young
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 16, 2011 - 10:51 AM UTC
I'm only 28 and have just suffered my first heart attack. Actually, it was my second. But, the first one was a bad reaction to some medications. My future in modelling is growing dim.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
England - South East, United Kingdom
entire network: 1,933 Posts
KitMaker Network: 814 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 04:56 AM UTC
Hi Matt sorry to hear this,I had my first one when Iwas thirty seven then i had one the next day, after all the tests and god knows what they found out Id had three.I had a triple byepass in 1990 Im sixty now and still modelling.be positve watch what you eat and give up smoking if you indulge, go to the gym regularly thats what I do.. unfortunately I was a policeman so that was my career up the swanee.good luck mate its not always the end of the earth.
thedutchie
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 1,299 Posts
KitMaker Network: 347 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 07:07 AM UTC
Matt:

Sorry to hear that. Look at it this way, you are still alive to talk about it. I agree with John, if you take good care of yourself it can only get better.

God speed Matt

Brian

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 08:36 AM UTC
Thanks guys. Heart disease runs in my family. My concern is losing dexterity in my hands. Have a hard enough time with tremors caused by my medications.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2011 - 07:22 PM UTC
Sorry to hear that Matt. You're only 28? I've got model kits older than you.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2011 - 11:53 PM UTC
When I had my first attack 1987 the Doctors told me that thirty was the average age for heart attacks, 24yrs ago, the way we live today I dread to think what is now.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 07:42 AM UTC
I have to cut down on bacon as an any-time snack. No more real melted butter over my popcorn. And, I have to quit smoking.
drumthumper
Visit this Community
Kansas, United States
entire network: 392 Posts
KitMaker Network: 159 Posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 08:17 AM UTC
Dang, Matt. Sorry to hear about your issues. However, like was stated previously, the fact you are still here to talk about proves there is hope, buddy. Perhaps this is a wake-up call. Too many never have a chance to modify diets, habits, etc. These are all things you can address ... especially that smoking thing. Coming from someone who never has partaken, I see nothing good about the habit (I know, I know ... quit preaching ... that's what my wife says anyway). Glad to see you are still around. And modeling - though the least of your concerns for awhile - will still be here when you are ready and able. Don't give up on it just yet.
Kirchoff
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2011 - 12:44 PM UTC
I know I am here for a reason. I already took a bullet to the head. Talk about a life altering event. Now, my prescriptions cost me nearly $3k/month. Thank God for insurance.
Easy_Co
Visit this Community
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 - 11:47 AM UTC
heard that Matt,I guess Im lucky now Im sixty I get my priscriptions free on the national health.we have a lot in common Matt I was a policeman in Australia centuries ago some S.O.B. put a .32 barreta to the back of my head and squeezed one off and it jammed I went home that night and drank nearly a bottle of malt whiskey, nothing to do with the incident i just liked to do that oh my partner shot him in the ass and the elbow .38 smith & wesson police special ouch.
Gendrok
Visit this Community
Nicaragua
entire network: 125 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2011 - 12:22 PM UTC
Sorry to hear that Matt. I do have to comment, a diet like that you are asking for it. I'm the exact same age. I don't frequent the gym a lot, but I do regularly play football, so I'm constantly running up and down a field. Keep your chin up.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 05:59 AM UTC
I was only kidding about the bacon. I do have to quit smoking and the real butter on my occassional tub of popcorn. Should be fine if I quit by the time I'm 30.
dioman13
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 2,184 Posts
KitMaker Network: 356 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2011 - 06:23 AM UTC
Hey Matt, sorry to hear about your turn of health. The good thing is your still kicking. This may slow you down, but like some of us, keep going. Since my accident, (I passed out driving my semi full of steel and stoped from 65 m.p.h. in a hundered feet) I have slowed down alot due to the pain pills and health issues. But modeling and this site has be my sanity savior for the past three years. Somedays I get so foggy I just sit and stare out the window and nothing gets done. I have been working on a small vignett that measures only 8"x6" for months now, but it will get done one day. The point is, your still here and even though it may be hard at times to model, take it as it comes. You'll have good days and bad. Just enjoy your builds when you can. You will still derive pleasure from them as you build and when finished, you'll be looking towards your next one. Best of luck to you bud!!!