Militaria Forum
For discussions on a range of topics like reenacting, vehicle restoration, and collecting.
WWII US handie talkie
HONEYCUT
Visit this Community
Victoria, Australia
entire network: 4,002 Posts
KitMaker Network: 648 Posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 02:31 AM UTC
Hi there
Kind of hard to categorise this question, but here goes.
I am looking at sculpting a 1:35 GI who has a SCR 536 handie talkie, and knowing the small sling attached can be extended, was wondering if it could be lengthened enough to loop over the head and under one arm as per a rifle sling, and even is so was it a common practice? I mean it has to be stowed on the soldier on the move when not in use somehow, just that I have seen no photographic evidence... Ideally I need the handie talkie positioned over the ribs at a level where a bent left arm can be resting on it across the chest...
Can you get that visual?!
Brad
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 1,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 76 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2011 - 12:02 AM UTC
Bradley mate i know the walkie your talking about as a mate has one ..hes a reenactor and the sling was only long enough to get is over a shoulder and not much else and that fully extended . you can still get what your after because in the army it was pretty common for us gunners to walk around with our MG's slung over one shoulder and say its the left shoulder then i would rest my left arm on my gun ,,you can still get the same idea working even tho you cant fully sling it
Here's a couple of pics which show just how long that sling really is ..should make life good for ya now

Hope this helps ya out matey