Hosted by Matt Leese
Sprayable Paints?
Buckeye198
Visit this Community
Ohio, United States
entire network: 596 Posts
KitMaker Network: 94 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 12:50 PM UTC
I just bought a new airbrush (Iwata Revolution CR) after my old one (Badger 200) got clogged up and was spattering pretty badly. I suspect the cause was that I was using enamels and wasn't cleaning as thoroughly as I should've been. Regardless of the reason, I'd like to switch to acrylic paints, at least for airbrush work (less toxicity, lower cost, more colors, and easier cleanup). My question to you experts is can I use regular run-of-the-mill craft store acrylic paints or do I have to buy airbrush-ready paints or acrylic hobby paints? I ask this because I can get those craft paints in 2 oz bottles (brand names include Jo Ann Fabrics, Michael's, Folk Art, Americana, and Delta Creative Ceramcoat) for a fraction of what I pay for my 1/4 oz bottles of Testors enamel and in any shade of any shade of any color I can conceive, and they can all be picked up and in my airbrush in a time span of about 20 minutes. I love this convenience, but am I going to have to sacrifice this convenience and super-low cost for buying model-specific hobby paints like Vallejo or Model Masters online? Thanks in advance for your help!
Grauwolf
Visit this Community
Quebec, Canada
entire network: 2,485 Posts
KitMaker Network: 480 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 30, 2011 - 07:17 PM UTC
Hi Robby,
Firstly let me say that I am no expert when it comes to paint but many years of
modeling has brought me this.
My personal preferences for airbrushing acrylics are Tamiya and Vallejo MA.
These work very well for and I can say that their pigments are much finer than
the others, the craft paints that is.
As for the craft paints....they are also excellent paints, excellent choice of colors
but my airbrushes do not digest them very well and believe me, I have tried
to thin them with just about every thinner and proportion I can Imagine.
I think they have coarser pigments.
I personally prefer to use these craft paints to painting figures and
groundwork.
As far as your Badger is concerned, a good cleaning and replacement of
some parts will make it like new again and you'll have second airbrush,
one for general purpose and the newer for fine detail.
And I agree with you on the convenience of accessibility of the craft paints,
just about everybody carries them, not the case with the more specialized
model paints.
This is what works for me.
Hope this helps,
Cheers,
Joe
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 01, 2011 - 01:09 AM UTC
You may run into a problem with sourcing Tamiya paints in the US. I believe that the import duties have risen. I have heard from the West Coast all the way to the Atlantic that hobbyshops are no longer restocking their paint. I intend to go to my LHS and buy them out. Vallejo is also dificult to source in the US. I use MM acrylicsand have no problems. Dilute with distilled water. However, some people have had serious issues with the paint clogging. Avoid craft paints. With a little research, you can find Humbrol. I have heard very good things about their line of paints and they have a comprehensive selection in both acryl and enamel. Hope this helps.
tylusfaust
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 371 Posts
KitMaker Network: 25 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2011 - 08:37 AM UTC
Robby,
I almost exclusively spray with Tamiya paints. They are very good and pretty accessible. You start with an search here

Just be sure to add some rubbing alcohol to the mix for good, smooth spraying.

Amazon also has a wide selection of Vallejo Model Air paints here

They are acrylic and I can tell you they go on very smooth and no alcohol needed. If you can afford it, the big Vallejo box with like 250 paints is pretty good. You'd be set for years.

Good luck!

_GOTOTOP