_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General: Advice on...
Need some general advice? Place it here.
model brands
MichaelZ
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 3 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 07:22 AM UTC
Hi All, fairly new to site. I like all the info and advice you guys are giving out. I'm getting back into modelling and asked a local hobby store what are some good companies to buy from...all he said was go with Tamiya..others have too many pieces and they are overdone??
Years ago, all i remember was Revell/Monogram and Tamiya.

I see for the same say 1/35 tank or half-track that the prices really differ between Revell, Academy, Dragon,and Tamiya...etc.

Is there anyway or can someone tell me what is considered a good company to buy from? Should i start with cheaper companies or just get the more detailed models from the start?

Sometimes i see at least a $20-$30 difference in price for the same scale and vehicle all due to brands. Please advise.
Thanks in advance,
Mike Z
Jmarles
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 1,138 Posts
KitMaker Network: 166 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 07:35 AM UTC
Best thing to do is check the reviews here, or research a kit you would like to buy. Tamiya have some nice kits like their Famo, B1, Renault tractor, etc but they also release ancient kits that are inaccurate and toylike. Dragon tends to be more detailed and complex but they have also released some dogs, especially in their Sherman and T34 lines. AFV generally rate well, but again, check the reviews. DML orange box kta are generally cheaper because they are older releases, but can be a good deal. Hobby Boss and Trumpeter's quality can vary, but their new kts are usually quite good. Tristar and Tasca are excellent, but expensive. Italeri are generally simpler, especially their older releases but some stand up well. Revell often reboxes DML and Italeri. Zvezda has their own moulds but also reboxes Italeri, and some of their older releases come from defunct Russian companies. I buy various kits based on reviews and feedback.
mauserman
Visit this Community
Maryland, United States
entire network: 1,183 Posts
KitMaker Network: 496 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 09:40 AM UTC
Welcome Michael. As a beginner I would stay away from the more complicated kits. Things like PE and resin are great, but right now I'd leave them alone. Many manufacturers produce great kits that are well suited for the beginner. Such as Tamiya's Willy's Jeep, or their 2 1/2 ton truck. Italeri's DUKW is another easy to build kit.

Whatever you choose, remember that this is a hobby. Enjoy it and don't fret over it. Don't try to learn everything at once. And always feel free to ask questions here in the forum.

Good luck.
Tojo72
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 4,691 Posts
KitMaker Network: 668 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 03:28 PM UTC
Stick with Tamiya in the beginning,most are shake + bake ,good fit and nice kits
WARDUKWNZ
Visit this Community
Auckland, New Zealand
entire network: 1,716 Posts
KitMaker Network: 76 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 03:51 PM UTC
Michael heres a simple and easy way to get what you want without scaring the hell out of yourself .... find the vehicle you want ..lets say its a T34 ,,then all you do is hunt down every model of it you can ..net will sort you out very nicely ,,then look at the reviews of those kits and then you can make up your mind ,,Tamiya is sweet for getting going ..very easy to build and parts fit very nicely ..they might not be up to the standard of some of the others out there but they are also alot more expensive and in most cases they have many more parts to and like Cary says say away from PE and resin parts for now ,,the high end kits are full of PE these days ,,get a nice pile of Tamiya kits under your belt and then look at the big boys ..then its a whole new world mate

Cheers

Phill
russamotto
Visit this Community
Utah, United States
entire network: 3,389 Posts
KitMaker Network: 625 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 06:03 AM UTC
Academy also offers some nice kits that build very well, such as the M10 series, the M4A2 US Marines and their M113. As mentioned above, check the reviews. Some PE is not too difficult to work with, but some does get very tricky.
mzaborsk
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 116 Posts
KitMaker Network: 36 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 12:45 PM UTC
I don't know if their room for Two michael Z.... Stick with the advice already given look for reviews on this site and other magazines that promote the hobby. I like to build but I don't have much time ...I build for my self to enjoy... Not for others to look at...No malice intended with that. Ask your self about your own skill level and purchase kits that you can build and be happy with and move ahead...large kits with lots of pe sometimes take lots of time and you can easily get discourage....Enjoy build for your self!

Michael
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 02:15 PM UTC
I would suggest sticking with Tamiya and Academy for your first kits. Many Academy kits are reboxed Tamiya kits. Italeri kits aren't bad, but they don't have locater pins for detail parts. I agree with the "check the reviews" posts. I wish I had, when I started back. I spent nearly two years building only Academy, Tamiya, and Italeri kits. Then, I progressed on to Trumpeter. Trumpeter kits are very detail and sometimes contain a pe fret. Avoid kits made in eastern Europe. They are poor quality, for the most part.
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 08:20 PM UTC
For starting out...you can't beat Tamiya. DML, Academy, AFV all have really nice kits as well. Some can be quite complicated, especially the kits with indy links for the tracks. A word of caution about reviews......We, the modelling community in general, have become very picky and just a little spoiled with the high quality of kits these days. As a consequence, some reviews can nit-pick a kit to pieces giving the impression that the kit is a total dog when in fact it is a really nice kit.
jimbrae
Visit this Community
Provincia de Lugo, Spain / España
entire network: 12,927 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,060 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 08:50 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Avoid kits made in eastern Europe. They are poor quality, for the most part.

Very broad and VERY misleading generalisation...

Back on-topic. Yes, Tamiya WOULD be your best point of 'First Contact'. However, do ask for background on the model, all too many of them are OLD moulds which have been re-released. Others are old, but essentially still good.

Someone mentioned Trumpeter, my recommendation there, would be their KV series - excellent models and, IMO, good for a beginner.

Avoid (at least for the moment) DML, AFV Club, Bronco or Tristar. The quality of all of these manufacturers is superlative but can be VERY complex.

Italeri may well be another manufacturer to consider, many (too many) of their releases are old mouldings, but, in general, can be pretty rapid and simple builds.

Perhaps, it might be a good idea, to put aside thoughts of accuracy, for the moment , get a handful of 'basic' kits and use them to hone your construction and finishing skills, then, start going for the more complex.

A recent model I reviewed was the PZ II from Bronco, NOT a beginner's model, but one which would serve as a good 'interim' model towards the complex. After of course, you've got a few of the basics under your belt!
drabslab
Visit this Community
European Union
entire network: 2,186 Posts
KitMaker Network: 263 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 08:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Sometimes i see at least a $20-$30 difference in price for the same scale and vehicle all due to brands. Please advise.
Thanks in advance,
Mike Z

It's better to pay 20$ more for a decent kit than to save money on the kit and thn to waste time with putty, sanding and rescribing and then have a bad result anyway.

Good advice was given, stay away from resin and stick to the good quality/easy fit kits.

The safest bet is Tamiya in most cases. Hasegawa is very good as well but instructions can be vry complicated to follow

enjoy the hobby

Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2011 - 09:11 PM UTC
If I were you I'd start with a Tamiya kit
Although they are easier to build than those produced by other brands, they guarantee on average very good results even if you mount them straight from the box.
Yes, of course, they may not be correct at 100%, but for your first step after a while, you may want to complete a kit with any trouble. There's nothing worse in my opinion, than re-start this hobby with bad results. It could be a reason to give up all the interest

In my opinion you should get a Schwimmwagen or a Kuby kit. Also a Sd.Kfz.222 Leichter Panzerspähwagen 4x4 could be advisable for you

After doing a little practice with a few of Tamiya kits, you'll can pass to Trumpeter or DML kits

So welcome back and happy modelling

cheers
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 01:11 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Best thing to do is check the reviews here, or research a kit you would like to buy. Tamiya have some nice kits like their Famo, B1, Renault tractor, etc but they also release ancient kits that are inaccurate and toylike. Dragon tends to be more detailed and complex but they have also released some dogs, especially in their Sherman and T34 lines. AFV generally rate well, but again, check the reviews. DML orange box kta are generally cheaper because they are older releases, but can be a good deal. Hobby Boss and Trumpeter's quality can vary, but their new kts are usually quite good. Tristar and Tasca are excellent, but expensive. Italeri are generally simpler, especially their older releases but some stand up well. Revell often reboxes DML and Italeri. Zvezda has their own moulds but also reboxes Italeri, and some of their older releases come from defunct Russian companies. I buy various kits based on reviews and feedback.

Have you ever built any of Dragon's Shermans or T-34s Julian? Or are you just regurgitating reviews?

I have.

Dragon's M4s run the gamut from poor to excellent.
Dragons T34s (all of them) run the gamut from better than average to excellent.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 03, 2011 - 05:29 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Have you ever built any of Dragon's Shermans or T-34s Julian? Or are you just regurgitating reviews?

I have.

Kevin on the subject of DMLs list of T34s I understood there were a couple of howlers in the mix, is that really the case or just a jaded opinion being accepted as fact? I will admit I have never built one and so I am open to what I have read to date.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2011 - 07:14 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I have.

Kevin on the subject of DMLs list of T34s I understood there were a couple of howlers in the mix, is that really the case or just a jaded opinion being accepted as fact? I will admit I have never built one and so I am open to what I have read to date.

It's jaded opinion being accepted as fact.
Dragon's 'Generation 2' T34/85 series from the late 1990s are outstanding builds and relatively easy for beginners to build. The single link tracks are good too.

Dragon's 'Generation 4' T34/76 series from 2004 have a few inaccuracies, but are still superb, very forgiving builds. Please consider the source when I say 'a few inaccuracies', my definition of the term is that they are annoying but fixable with a little work.

Where Dragon has fallen down is with their 'mix and match' approach to moulding which has produced some kits that have parts that don't fit well without care. I'd say that most Dragon T-34s kitted after about 2006-2007 should be approached cautiously by modelers without intermediate to advanced modeling skills and references.
rebelsoldier
Visit this Community
Arizona, United States
entire network: 1,336 Posts
KitMaker Network: 570 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 15, 2011 - 08:28 PM UTC
hi and welcome to our world!
i like the academy and tamiya for beginners, thats the route i took, with some italeri tossed in. then i read al i could here, asked questions, and made friends!

don't hesitate to ask questions here, and be prepared to get answers! i've had great advice here and leads to books and sites to help me.. i think you are on the right track.

reb
 _GOTOTOP