Spare Parts
For non-modeling topics and those without a home elsewhere.
How to get a comission??
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 01:28 AM UTC
Does anyone know what getting a comission from a museum involves? Do you have to scratchbuild all of the models? How do you present yourself to prospective employers? Where is the best place to get publicity? I'm asking all of this because my production just went up. I now have a mill and a lathe and should be converting both to cnc within the next few months.
lukiftian
Visit this Community
British Columbia, Canada
entire network: 791 Posts
KitMaker Network: 198 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 06:39 AM UTC
These days, it involves giving them things for free, connections in the museum crowd, a CV and a portfolio, and as well a list of collectors who own your work, and who may provide testimonials.

Being a competent modeler also helps, but it isn't always necessary.

Do you have all of these Matt?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 09:55 AM UTC
not yet. give me a few years. I have connections in a military museum or two through my father. I intend to start master works with my upcoming T1E1 build. And, I have the machinery to mill plastics and metals(thus allowing me a broad range of scratchbuilding).
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 7,219 Posts
KitMaker Network: 981 Posts
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 02:48 PM UTC
For me it kind of fell into my lap.

1. Go to Shizuoka Toy Show.
2. Have a couple of people there admire your stuff (admittedly the genre, and not the skill level, had a lot to do with it)
3. Said people commission several builds over several years, and then-
4. Pass your name on to an even better contact in a completely different part of the world.

Some relatively quick builds have made a house payment. Now that the house is paid off they just buy motorcycle parts.

With a mill and a lathe, you could think big and do custom cycle parts. That's my latest venture.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 08, 2011 - 08:15 PM UTC

Quoted Text

For me it kind of fell into my lap.

1. Go to Shizuoka Toy Show.
2. Have a couple of people there admire your stuff (admittedly the genre, and not the skill level, had a lot to do with it)
3. Said people commission several builds over several years, and then-
4. Pass your name on to an even better contact in a completely different part of the world.

Some relatively quick builds have made a house payment. Now that the house is paid off they just buy motorcycle parts.

With a mill and a lathe, you could think big and do custom cycle parts. That's my latest venture.

As it happens, I bought the mill for hobby use and my dad bought the lathe. I'll be using them to further my builds, while my dad will be using them to manufacture parts for his motorcycles.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 10:41 AM UTC
Very cool. What kinds of bikes does he build?
I thought about using the lathe for the hobby, but when I asked if anyone wanted turned M107 and M110 barrels no one seemed interested.

I'm sure your dad can make some cool stuff for bikes on that lathe. And there's definitely a market for even simple custom parts like wheel spacers:

http://www.cyrilhuzeblog.com/2011/07/07/ribbed-parts-from-violent-choppers/

This was my first lathe project - a smoke grenade key switch housing for my ride:

Then I moved on to altering flash bang grenades - turning them into foot pegs and hand grips:

There's a huge market out there for original ideas, instead of the usual WCC crap.

I'm testing the waters to see if there'd be an interest in Katyusha rocket air intake covers:

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 11:35 AM UTC
He may be one for the grenade pegs. He served in the EOD for his tour. He currently has a Harley V-rod, 1st gen Polaris Victory, KLR, and a Kawasaki Z-1. He will probably use the mill to fabricate gun parts, as well. I already have requests for turned barrells. I'm going to use the lathe for barrells and ammunition. Maybe some roadwheels. I'll be milling some tools and photo-etch, as far as metal. And, use it to cut styrene for scratchbuilds. After I get my auto-cad certification, I am going to upgrade both to be driven by a cnc program.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2011 - 11:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

He may be one for the grenade pegs. He served in the EOD for his tour. He currently has a Harley V-rod, 1st gen Polaris Victory, KLR, and a Kawasaki Z-1. He will probably use the mill to fabricate gun parts, as well. I already have requests for turned barrells. I'm going to use the lathe for barrells and ammunition. Maybe some roadwheels. I'll be milling some tools and photo-etch, as far as metal. And, use it to cut styrene for scratchbuilds. After I get my auto-cad certification, I am going to upgrade both to be driven by a cnc program.

Straight "AutoCAD" isn't the best for 3D stuff. Better off to work in SolidWorks or the like.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 02:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Straight "AutoCAD" isn't the best for 3D stuff. Better off to work in SolidWorks or the like.

It's been a few years since I worked with a cad program. Just need some refresher courses. I had planned on finding a cheap or free cad program.
old-dragon
Visit this Community
Illinois, United States
entire network: 3,289 Posts
KitMaker Network: 592 Posts
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 02:40 PM UTC
Suicide shifters...geez, do people still use those set ups?- cool!
Maybe you could make the cams for an old Kawi H2 750cc 3 cylinder......

{...hint/hint- that motor was a 2 stroke!}
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 03:15 PM UTC
Actually, that's not a suicide shifter, it's the fuel valve from a BRDM-2 in Afghanistan. I'm running two fuel fuel tanks, so it made sense. Rear is left tanak, middle is "off" and forward is right tank, which is the reserve.

However, since you mention suicide shifters, you need only see the other side of the bike. Anything look familiar?

retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 06:58 PM UTC
That's going to be one gorgeous bike. Not much on the cruisers, myself; but very cool. I'm still trying to convince my dad to have his z-1 rechromed. I think I love that bike more than he does.
18Bravo
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2011 - 07:20 PM UTC
Yout dad has some cool bikes. It seems one for all occasions. I only have two - this one to ride, and a Ural for when I wish I could ride.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2011 - 04:29 AM UTC
I should be getting my own bike within the next couple of months.