Soldier Stories
Served in the military? Discuss your time and experiences here.
Hosted by Dave Willett
Considering enlisting
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 12:09 PM UTC
OK. My medical history precludes me from walking down and enlisting. The major problem being an accidental discharge the passed through my head. The police records are lost, but my father may be willing to write a sworn afidavit that it was found to be an accidental discharge. Beyond that, I have some mental health issues. What are your guys' onpinions?
P.S. I'm 28 and considered mentally disabled by the state. And, I was able to take and ace the test to determine my mos. IQ 152.
CMOT
Staff MemberEditor-in-Chief
ARMORAMA
Visit this Community
England - South West, United Kingdom
entire network: 10,954 Posts
KitMaker Network: 1,873 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 03:04 PM UTC
With your medical history and age plus that I believe the US military is not finding recruitment difficult at the moment that your chances of being accepted are slim. Unfortunately I also believe that being considered mentally disabled would preclude any chance you had of joining the armed forces. That all said it does not prevent you from trying.
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 04:04 PM UTC
Matt, You could try buddy but in all honesty you will be wasting you time. Darren is right on this. Your disability is almost certainly going to disqualify you . The military is beginning to draw down its numbers. 50,000 over the next 4 years in the Army alone. I believe the Navy is looking at a similar number. The Military is getting really picky on who it lets in. Got a buddy that just re-enlisted and had to get a waiver due to the Army having already met its recruiting and retention goals for the year.
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 11:32 PM UTC
Well, I've been trying for 6 years now. I know that, had it not been for meps, I would have my choice of mos. I feel belittled in that I can't do what I believe is my duty by serving my country.
MSGsummit
Visit this Community
Tennessee, United States
entire network: 751 Posts
KitMaker Network: 175 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 01:16 AM UTC
Matt,
You shouldn't feel belittled brother.......just the way it goes. There are alot of different Support the Troops organizations out there maybe you could get involved with. There's more than one way to serve.
melonhead
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 662 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Friday, June 24, 2011 - 04:17 AM UTC
unfortunately, i have to agree with the others. your chances are slim. more than likely, it wouldnt even be due to physical condition. it would be more of the cause of the mental portion. one concern of the military is the mental well being. they dont want to have people come in that have medical issues already. sound body and sound mind is what they aim for. it tends to weed out any problems before they arise.
good luck to you though. as it has been said, it isnt going to hurt to try