_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
ACE Hardware in Berkeley, CA
newbornmodeller
Visit this Community
California, United States
entire network: 22 Posts
KitMaker Network: 19 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 22, 2011 - 02:44 PM UTC
If anyone lives in the North Bay area of CA I went to the ACE Hardware store by UC Berkeley once and it had a nice selection of modelling items. I have not been back in over 2 yrs so I am not sure what is still there or if its a good shop to frequent for supplies and help. I thought it was a cool place to look around...this was before I decided to try my hand in modelling as a hobby.
didgeboy
Visit this Community
Washington, United States
entire network: 1,846 Posts
KitMaker Network: 208 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 04:02 AM UTC
I would suggest calling them and asking. Sometimes a phone call can save you a tank of gas. If they do not have stuff anymore you might ask them if they know anyone that does. You might also try the yellow pages, hobby, or do a google search for hobby shops in your area. Cheers.
highway70
Visit this Community
entire network: 322 Posts
KitMaker Network: 29 Posts
Posted: Thursday, June 23, 2011 - 03:26 PM UTC
Wow, I havent thought of them in almost 30 years. Used to by N scale model trains from them..

Found a review dated 6/11/'2008

Hours:
Mon-Sat 9 am - 6 pm

Sun 10 am - 5 pm
Price Range:$$
Accepts Credit Cards:Yes
Parking:Private Lot
Wheelchair Accessible:No
First to Review Rob M.
Edit Business Info Work Here? Unlock This Business Page

Berkeley Ace Hardware Review from Adam V.

Adam V.

Oakland, CA
6/8/2011
This review only really covers the hobby section - I've never more than glanced through the upstairs, since I go to the Ace on MLK instead normally.

The place is an unexpected little treasure. It's easy to just wander around the surprising little hobby store downstairs. While not the most comprehensive, it has a lot of different things. A lot of the products look vintage, too, which I appreciate, but I guess it could be my imagination. The staff are generally friendly and helpful, and often just discount things, which is a real sweet thing to do.

And most importantly, they have a *fabulous* selection of hot wheels cars, meaning my kindergarten age son L O V E S this place.

And who am I to argue with him? Five stars.
skyshark
Visit this Community
North Carolina, United States
entire network: 703 Posts
KitMaker Network: 193 Posts
Posted: Saturday, June 25, 2011 - 04:58 PM UTC
Did they have flower in their hair and throw you a piece sign.
centurionmkv
Visit this Community
entire network: 67 Posts
KitMaker Network: 11 Posts
Posted: Friday, August 19, 2011 - 06:55 AM UTC
The Berkeley ACE Hardware / Hobby store is still in business and is doing pretty well. I know it because I just came back from a visit two days ago, having purchased two kits from them.

They are very well stocked and has what is now a good selection in the entire SF Bay Area.

Just slightly south of Berkeley ACE is Hobbies Unlimited in San Leandro. I visited this store two days ago too. It is now the BEST hobby store in the SF Bay Area with a very good selection of kits of every brand. Owner is friendly too.

http://www.yelp.com/biz/hobbies-unlimited-san-leandro

IF you go to Berkeley, make sure you stop by Hobbies Unlimited. You will not be disappointed!
 _GOTOTOP