_GOTOBOTTOM
Modeling in General
General discussions about modeling topics.
Academy model, paint questions
Wardster
Visit this Community
United States
entire network: 27 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 01:22 AM UTC
Hello all, I'm working on an Academy Blackhawk and I'm having problems with their color chart. Specifically Dark Hull Grey and Dark Grey 2. I guess they mix their own batch of Dark Grey2 for the exterior. Are blackhawk helicopters exterior dark grey? I thought I remembered them being OD green?
What about the interior colors? Any suggestions would be fantastic!
I'm not too impressed with the lack of detailed instruction and improper fittings on this model.
AJLaFleche
Visit this Community
Massachusetts, United States
entire network: 8,074 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,574 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:00 AM UTC
All the Blackhawks I've seen have been overall dark od. There were referencs to euro schemed ones early on and some in desert colors inthe early 90's. Naval 60's are standard Navy grays and Coast Guard birds are white and red. The Customs Service's one are gloss black with gold stripes.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 02:11 AM UTC
If you go the OD route, Testors makes a paint called Helo Drab. It is supposed to be specifically for modern US helicopters. When I bought my Blackhawk I bought four bottles...

Hit the linky,

Shaun

http://www.a2zhobbies.com/Testors/Federal_Standard_Acryl/TES-4723.html

viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 03:03 AM UTC
This all depends on what version of the Blackhawk you are building...if its a normal UH-60 Blackhawk then yes the OD color or the Euro Cam would be what you would use...however from the sound of the colors you are suggesting...it sounds as if you have the MH-60 which is the special operations helo....like what they would have used in Blackhawk down.....if this is the case...and overall color of the Dark Grey like they suggest is probably right....I would have thought something more along the lines of Gunship Grey.....but mybe that is to dark of a grey.

So it depends on the model you are building.
keenan
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 5,272 Posts
KitMaker Network: 2,192 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 03:33 AM UTC
Good point Viper. I completely forgot about the special ops version. I have the UH 60L kit and assumed Wardster did too. Thanks for the clarification.

Shaun

Special OPs Blackhawk...
chip250
Visit this Community
Wisconsin, United States
entire network: 1,864 Posts
KitMaker Network: 606 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 05:41 AM UTC
You could just paint it all helo drab and forget about it. Or you could spray it OD and forget about it.

I am glad that you let me know about the kit. I was going to buy it , but I was a little skeptical. Thanks!

~Chip :-)
TankCarl
Visit this Community
Rhode Island, United States
entire network: 3,581 Posts
KitMaker Network: 678 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:26 AM UTC
I also wonder about the Infamous "Black" helicopters used by the US Govt.Are they a special color? I see one every now and then tailing me as I drive on the Highway heading to
modelcitizen62
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 326 Posts
KitMaker Network: 0 Posts
Posted: Sunday, September 21, 2003 - 07:47 AM UTC
no TankCarl, thy're painted in "Iron Ball" midnight blue anti-radar paint because that is more compatible with the Romulan cloaking devices installed next to the hyper-sensitive IR and listening device package
 _GOTOTOP