_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Pin vise / mini drill question
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 03:55 AM UTC
I'm struggling with a set of Friul tracks at the moment and I'd like to know what tools people use to drill out the links. I've seen many references to a pin vise (which I have), but I'm having a tough time envisioning how to simultaneously hold a link and drill it out. Do you pin the link in a vise and drill down vertically? If you use a mini drill of some sort, what do you use?
BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 04:11 AM UTC
Would something like this work?

http://www.micromark.com/Special-Offer-Precision-Power-Screwdriver-and-Universal-Church-Combo,9714.html
viper29_ca
Visit this Community
New Brunswick, Canada
entire network: 2,247 Posts
KitMaker Network: 718 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 04:12 AM UTC
With a pin vice, hold the link in one hand between your index and thumb, pin vice in the other hand, drill hole. A mini drill will do the same thing, just faster since you don't have to manually turn it.
BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 04:39 AM UTC
Thanks, Scott. I didn't think a pin vise would have enough bite, but I'll give it a try tonight. I'm happy to sacrifice speed for a consistent process that works.
ACESES5
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 09:49 AM UTC
Bill: After you drill out the links do like I do insted of using the wire that comes with the Fruils use straight pins. Assemble the tracks with the pin heads faceing out this will give proto type look like the track pin on the actual track I have done two sets of fruils this way looks awsome ACESES5
 _GOTOTOP