_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Gluing Tutorials??
joe4227
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 08:21 AM UTC
Has anyone done or seen an actual tutorial on gluing techniques?
Would really love to see this.
For example, for old plastic die-hards like myself, the transition from styrene to resin, and from Styrene glues to CA is a major road-block.
I find working with both Resin & CA to be awkward and a pain.
Could someone provide a step-by-step guide, explaining the difference in the techniques?
I.E. with stryene and its glues, the glue is applied to the surfaces, which actually partially disolve, and then resolidify when assembled. CA does not do this, so they surfaces need to be much cleaner and mate perfectly, and it doesn't allow much adjustment the way you could in styrene...
Spiderfrommars
Visit this Community
Milano, Italy
entire network: 3,845 Posts
KitMaker Network: 209 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 10:46 AM UTC
Yes, Ca doesn't allow too many adjustments before dry
Anyway there are some products that cure in a longer time such as for exemple this :

Thinnest amount of Ca glue are more effective than the thickest ones. Actually is the humidity that dries the ca glue (...and this is the reason why ca can glue the fingers). Grease and dirty can cause some problems, so, as you said, cleaning the plastic surfaces is better because it allows a stronger bond.

Anyway if you need a longer time for resin parts, you should adopt epoxy glue

That gives you at least 5 minutes (or more) to do your adjustment. Final bond is more elastic so it's stronger. Moreover dried epoxy glue works as a sort of putty.

cheers
joe4227
Visit this Community
Ontario, Canada
entire network: 36 Posts
KitMaker Network: 17 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 11:28 AM UTC
Thanks!

I have worked with a few epoxies. I like the marine epoxy, it seems a little mroe forgiving, and a bit thinner compared to the thick pastes. I had not seen this brand before...

What I'd REALLY like to see is a kind tutorial overview of the different glues, and how you need to adjust your techniques for them. And for the materials, Styrene vs Resins...
 _GOTOTOP