_GOTOBOTTOM
Tools & Supplies
Discussions on the latest and greatest tools, glues, and gadgets.
Hosted by Matt Leese
Sandpaper help
BillGorm
Visit this Community
New Jersey, United States
entire network: 609 Posts
KitMaker Network: 120 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 02:30 AM UTC
Can I get some pointers on filing and sanding? I've been using a set of metal files to clean up parts, sand seams, etc., but they leave the surface scarred if I'm not careful. I've seen modelers reference super-fine grit sandpaper (e.g. 1500) ... is this regular sandpaper from Home Depot or a specialty hobby item? Are there tools available to make the sandpaper easier to work with?
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 06:09 AM UTC
I use sandpaper from Walmart. Micromark offers some sanding sticks in different grits to fit tight places.
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 06:21 AM UTC
You don't need to go as fine as 1500 grit. That's more of a polish than a sanding.

The small set of Testors sandpapers comes in 5 different grits and costs less than $5.

Home Depot carries grits within the range, and you can just cut off smaller pieces as needed.

Here's the Testor's set on amazon.

http://www.amazon.com/Sandpaper-Carded-5-Grits-Pkg/dp/B0006NDZH6/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=toys-and-games&qid=1307899162&sr=8-1
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
entire network: 1,624 Posts
KitMaker Network: 30 Posts
Posted: Sunday, June 12, 2011 - 07:30 AM UTC
Hey Bill,
Personally, I use 220 grit sandpaper thats used for metal working. It works on plastic also. It dulls the surface and really doesn't leave the marks of a larger grit. Remember, the higher the number, the smaller the grit.

Hope this helps.
BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 01:43 AM UTC
Matt - Thanks, I'll check out Micromark's site and see what they have.

Jesse - The reference to 1500 grit came from an aircraft modeler (who probably was using it to polish), but seeing such a high grit got me thinking.

Quoted Text

Home Depot carries grits within the range, and you can just cut off smaller pieces as needed.

How do you manipulate the sandpaper once you've got a small enough piece too get into tight spaces? Fingers are too thick sometimes and it seem like tweezers wouldn't provide enough leverage.

Brian - Same question for you ... do you use anything to hold / control the small piece of sandpaper?

BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Monday, June 13, 2011 - 12:48 PM UTC
Bill,
Here's what I use.

The large box with the flex cord is an old nail stylist tool, on the end of which is a sanding disk. It's use for straight runs, like seams inside/outside a hull, flat areas.

Note the ceramic tool, I use this for hard to reach areas, corners, etc. A little loose sandpaper can be used also. Plus I've got two clay molding sticks and a popsickle stick. Tape or small staples to hold them in place. (Use tape, sticks with break in half with staples. )

And when all else fails, I use one of the two hospital clamps/foresips, one is smooth and the other has teeth, to hold a small amount of sandpaper folded over about three to four times and have at it.

Hope this helps.
BillGorm
Visit this Community
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 02:13 AM UTC
Thanks for the pictures, Brian, very helpful. I won't be buying a nail stylist tool anytime soon, but the clamps and clay modeling tools look worthwhile. Where did you find the medical clamps?
BigfootV
Visit this Community
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 09:00 AM UTC
Hey Bill,
No problem. The stylish tool has been in the family for years, can't remember where I picked up the medical clamps. If you know anyone that is any EMT or in that field, I'm sure you maybe able to pick them up.

See ya the the funnies.................
ACESES5
Visit this Community
Indiana, United States
entire network: 71 Posts
KitMaker Network: 44 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 09:41 AM UTC
Here is a tool that really helped me with filling an sanding its called FLEX FILE you also get several grades of sanding bands with it. You can get them at any good on line hobby shop mine came from sprubrothers try one I'm sure you'll like. ACESES5
pseudorealityx
Visit this Community
Georgia, United States
entire network: 2,191 Posts
KitMaker Network: 357 Posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 15, 2011 - 09:52 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How do you manipulate the sandpaper once you've got a small enough piece too get into tight spaces? Fingers are too thick sometimes and it seem like tweezers wouldn't provide enough leverage.

Carefully. A lot of times, folding the sand paper will give a smaller area and more rigidity to get into small places. Hobby shops typically sell sanding 'sticks' too, which are smaller.
ftauss
Visit this Community
Virginia, United States
entire network: 30 Posts
KitMaker Network: 10 Posts
Posted: Sunday, August 14, 2011 - 05:05 AM UTC
If you are using "jewelers" files it just takes a light hand at the end. These are hobby type files available at any brick and mortar or online shop. Usually you use the files to shape a part, but a light hand and the right file can do finish level work.

Of course it depends what you are working on. Armor is usually rougher than aircraft. The other item to get are the sanding sticks mentioned here. These should be available at the same places. (You can cheat and get some in the beauty store or drug store sometimes, it's the same basic set used for fingernails but these are not always wet and dry). There are 5 basic grits, coarse to extra fine. I end up using the coarse, medium and extra fine (black, tan and red) most of the time so I stock up on those. There is also a polishing stick that has 2 very fine grits on side and and another on the other. That's my usual finisher.

Micro Mesh makes a variety of pads in grits from 1600 to 12000. They come as pads of small sheets/cloths. I use those only if I need to really polish something, scratched canopies or aircraft finishes.

imatanker
Visit this Community
Maine, United States
entire network: 1,654 Posts
KitMaker Network: 89 Posts
Posted: Monday, August 22, 2011 - 10:27 PM UTC
I have been working on a" homgrown" system of making your own sanding sticks.It seems to be working well so far.If anyone is interested,I can post a how-to with pics.Jeff
retiredyank
Visit this Community
Arkansas, United States
entire network: 11,610 Posts
KitMaker Network: 3,657 Posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2011 - 12:37 AM UTC
Hobby Lobby carries foam sanding blocks. I picked some up to set up another workbench, away from home. They work great! I'm taking the set I bought home and will purchase more for my second bench. They are carried on the same isle as their models. It's almost buffer for their finest grit and remove like normal for their higher grit.
 _GOTOTOP